PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spacers on stock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 03:01 AM
Default Spacers on stock wheels

Hi there,

I was thinking about making my H2 a bit more agressive by adding spacers and my question is can I go with 2" spacers on stock wheels. I will be replacing them in around 2 years (the tread is still in good condition) with 37x12,5/17 tires. I was trying to find pictures of H2s with spacers by most of them aren't running stock tires. Please post pictures of your H2's and leave a comment what kind of tire and spacer you have. Also are there any differences in driving I can expect ?

Cheers!

Last edited by Malcolm745; 02-10-2016 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:42 AM

pushing the suspension out like that will take a toll on it, hard. and most shops will not align or work on a vehicle with that much of a spacer on it.
personally I say just get the wheels with the right off set.

if it was an 1/8 or 1/4 inch, sure..... but even them i worry a little... but 2 inches....

and the other problem too is that you have to keep making sure the nuts are torqued, not only the ones on the wheels but the ones holding the spacer to the hub.... if not.... well off that wheel will roll and you become a tricycle

Old 02-11-2016, 02:29 PM

Hmm....Maybe 1.5" then would be slightly safer. I'm not planning on changing the rims right now. There aren't many decent rims here in the EU that fit the H2. Would have to pay a pile of money just for shipping. I was searching for Rockstar rims but no luck.

2 PC 1 5 inch 8 Lug Wheel Spacers 8x6 5" Fits Silverado 2500 HD 3500 HD Duramax | eBay

These are the ones I was interested in.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:20 PM

your missing the point, anything that you have to bolt to the oem hub and them bolt the wheel to that will basically be in the same scenerio as what i said above.

Last edited by jsbihn; 02-13-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:24 PM

I have to agree.
The progressive "look" will just put wear & tear on your suspension.
If you are keeping your H2 long term, just buy the appropriate wheels for the look you want. Upgrading or fixing your suspension to deal w/ the offset is going to cost more than importing the wheels you'd like.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:46 AM

Point taken. I'll skip on the idea for now and hope I'll come by some nice rims I can put on the H2. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Malcolm745
Point taken. I'll skip on the idea for now and hope I'll come by some nice rims I can put on the H2. Thanks for the heads up.
I dabbled with the idea of spacers for months a while back when I was thinking about H1 military wheels.

You would HAVE To buy hub centric spacers to even be remotely safe. Lug centric are just asking for problems-catastrophic problems. Even at that, as the other have mentioned-the wear and tear on the suspension will be far increased.

I ended up buying new wheels with the backspace/offset I was looking to get with spacers. Now I don't have to worry about rechecking the torque on not only the wheels but the spacers or any of the other issues spacers typically have.

It costs more to get a new set of wheels but peace of mind is priceless in most cases.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I dabbled with the idea of spacers for months a while back when I was thinking about H1 military wheels.

You would HAVE To buy hub centric spacers to even be remotely safe. Lug centric are just asking for problems-catastrophic problems. Even at that, as the other have mentioned-the wear and tear on the suspension will be far increased.

I ended up buying new wheels with the backspace/offset I was looking to get with spacers. Now I don't have to worry about rechecking the torque on not only the wheels but the spacers or any of the other issues spacers typically have.

It costs more to get a new set of wheels but peace of mind is priceless in most cases.
Off-topic for the OP, but you can get those H1 wheels re-centered so you don't have to run spacers. I have a set of Ultra 16.5 wheels that I am running BFG Baja T/A in the Summer and some American Racing 16.5 wheels with Goodyear MT/R's in the winter. I am eventually going to go with the re-centered H1 wheels for the MT/R's for winter/ trail use.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:07 PM

I looked into recentering H1 wheels as well. Unless you have a full blown shop in your garage the cost of recentering those wheels is ridiculous. It would end up being cheaper buying aftermarket wheels in a more common size and not have to worry about the surplus 16.5 drying up.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I looked into recentering H1 wheels as well. Unless you have a full blown shop in your garage the cost of recentering those wheels is ridiculous. It would end up being cheaper buying aftermarket wheels in a more common size and not have to worry about the surplus 16.5 drying up.
You can have any local machine shop do the work on the recentering for you if they know what they are doing.

For right now there are plenty of military H1's still in use, and tires being made.
Even when they are all out of commission that's when the market will get flooded with brand new tires, and I'll stock pile on them.

Heck the MT/R's I have are from 2008, and the BFG's are 2014.
Bought the MT/R's for $125 each with 98% tread in 2012, and the BFG's I just bought brand new for $125 each as well.

Both wear like iron, and by doing a summer, and winter set should last me a long time.

If I find any more good deals on them i'll stock up on them. Coat them in 303 aerospace protectant, and then shrink wrap them so they don't oxidize from the ozone.

Where else can you get a 37" tire for $125?

Oh and I forgot to ad that the MT/R's came with 24 bolt wheels for that price so all I have to buy is the centers. I found a manufacturer that makes gusseted ones that are extra beefy for my piggy rig for when it has the duramax in it
Hence another reason i'm going this route...

Last edited by yrkdmaxh2; 03-03-2016 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Added

Quick Reply: Spacers on stock wheels