PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling hummer no more

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 10:50 PM
Default Rattling hummer no more

If anyone has a 2003-2007 hummer H2 and your doors rattle beyond I have the fix for you. Has anyone heard of Dynamat? I bought a box of Dynamat on Amazon, it came with 9 pieces. I put these in each door and the covers that are on both sides of the dash which contains the fuses because they were rattling as bad as the doors. My truck now drives like a new truck. No more noise from doors. It rides like a brand new truck now. The Dynamat costed me $144 but it's well worth it trust me.

Last edited by mcioci; 09-12-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:33 AM

Can you explain a bit more?
You took off the interior door panels and the fuse box cover?
I seemed to identify my squeaks coming from where plastic pieces over lap on the doors. Like where power window buttons are. My passenger power window button area was actually broke and quite loose but I hot glued it and it reduced interior noise significantly. I do hear a few squeaks when I hit bumps but I am sure it is interior pieces rubbing against each other.
I am not going to hot glue everything that squeaks.
Since I am the prime driver and love the truck, I hear and feel little things. I'll ask passenger "do you hear that?" and get "hear what? you're nuts"

Old 09-13-2016, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by atari800
Can you explain a bit more?
You took off the interior door panels and the fuse box cover?
I seemed to identify my squeaks coming from where plastic pieces over lap on the doors. Like where power window buttons are. My passenger power window button area was actually broke and quite loose but I hot glued it and it reduced interior noise significantly. I do hear a few squeaks when I hit bumps but I am sure it is interior pieces rubbing against each other.
I am not going to hot glue everything that squeaks.
Since I am the prime driver and love the truck, I hear and feel little things. I'll ask passenger "do you hear that?" and get "hear what? you're nuts"
I am just like you and I found where all my rattling was coming from. The 2 fuse side covers are a little loose after al these years. If you push in slightly I can hear the plastic make noise. The doors, very simple, the plastic below the door handle and above the area where you can store stuff is very thin and if you press against it you will see the plastic is very thin and hollow on other side. I thought about putting silicone on the inside to make it heavier. My thinking was if its heavier you won't hear as much rattle when going over small or large bumps. My interior guy said just install Dynamat. He showed me what it was and said he uses it under the carpeting and inside doors for better insulation, noise reduction. Now when I close my doors you hear a swish and not a hollow loud sound. I bought it and I have to say my 2005 H2 now drives like a brand new truck. I can't believe it. Trust me guys, it's worth every penny.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:18 PM

How hard/easy was it to remove panels?
I wouldnt want to snap off a clip and really have a rattle to deal with

Old 09-13-2016, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by atari800
How hard/easy was it to remove panels?
I wouldnt want to snap off a clip and really have a rattle to deal with

you def have to be gentle and I am not so I got my interior guy to remove the panels and put them back on for me.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:25 PM

I read (somewhere) that the glue (or gloop) that holds credit cards on paper in the mail, can be pulled off and pushed into squeaky areas. If you need to remove the panel, the gloop just comes off.

This is a good article - thanks

Old 09-14-2016, 12:50 AM

Just to add to this, i had my whole H2 stripped and covered in a similar material to dynamat. This was done more for an audio install, but the doors received the heaviest treatment. The difference is quite staggering. On the freeway you still hear the buffeting from the wind given it's as aerodynamic as a hippo, but in traffic or low speeds, you can listen to the radio at half the volume it was. No squeaks or rattles, it just feels solid. First time i ever used sound deadening. Will be doing it for all my vehicles going forward.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by mcioci
If anyone has a 2003-2007 hummer H2 and your doors rattle beyond I have the fix for you. Has anyone heard of Dynamat? I bought a box of Dynamat on Amazon, it came with 9 pieces. I put these in each door and the covers that are on both sides of the dash which contains the fuses because they were rattling as bad as the doors. My truck now drives like a new truck. No more noise from doors. It rides like a brand new truck now. The Dynamat costed me $144 but it's well worth it trust me.

Good to know it worked! I have some similar material to dynamat and this mod/improvement is on the to-do list.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:20 AM

For any of you wanting to see what the doors look like underneath the panel (at least on my '09) there are some pics on my install thread. My doors were covered on the inside and outside of the door shell and on the inside skin with comfortmat (similar product to dynamat) and also on the back of the panels in places. We also used a fabric layer (for isolation i think) in between the panel and the door card. I also thought about putting it on the underside of the hood too, to keep it quiet but am not so sure re temperatures etc...