PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav replacement questions....

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 05:36 AM
Default Nav replacement questions....

I want to replace the factory nav unit in the 2006 H2 with a new double din unit from kenwood, jvc, pioneer, or Sony. I have a few questions. If anyone could help, I would appreciate it.

1. Steering wheel controls. I have read that most units will work with the steering wheel buttons. Do any of you know if any particular brand won't work or if there is something particular I should watch for?

2. On star mutes the radio now. Will a new unit most likely do this also?

3. I have the Bose system and am pretty happy with it. I don't want to change that. Will this be an issue?

4. Is the onstar system dependent on the factory nav unit and will the changeout cause an issue?

5. Does the factory DVD player in the center console have a standard video out cable (yellow RCA)?

The things I am looking to accomplish is no nav disk, iPod/iPhone hookup, movies in dash, Bluetooth, movies from headrest display playing in dash, hd radio, satellite radio, aux. inputs, nav control while moving, blah blah blah.

I have noticed that my factory nav doesn't have a fader (front to rear) or a balance (left to right). I don't need it. It's just the first radio I've seen without it.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:26 PM

well i can help with some of those questions . they sell a add on peace to keep the steering controls and the have an adaptor to keep onstar and bell chime. that adaptor is like $90. at best buy . you will need an anttena adaptor as well. you can go to bestbuy and they will look up your h2 and tell you what all you need . i to was looking into this and died after it heard all the extra cost. but i never looked at the real high end units they may come with some extras. i looked at the middle of the road stuff at like $550 unit and it was going to cost me an extra $200. for mine i walked out after that lol i like my stock unit for that price for now lol

Old 01-10-2012, 08:30 AM

Well I was looking at spending around $1000. I'm just tired of the same blue screen and lacking oem nav. If I can gt everything I'm looking for, then I'm going for it. Thanks for the info. I going to best buy today to see what they have.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 PM

Please post a follow-up as to what you find out. I have the same set-up in my 2005 H2. Bose, steering buttons, Onstar, plus a backup cam. I HATE this Nav. Discs are expensive, you have to know how a street or highway is EXACTLY listed in the file before it will find it!

Old 01-12-2012, 03:41 PM

I just bought the Alpine 910. It does everything you want it to do. You can go onto youtube to see it there. I have the 2005 H2 so I am adding a back up camera. The unit sells for around 1200.00 but you can get it off ebay for 838.00. It is the top of the line unit. By the time you had back up camera all the controls for steering wheel bose adapter, and eveything else plus labor it was 838.00 + 700.00 laber and acc. I know that is alot but you get what you pay for.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 PM

That looks nice. Who did your install? Best Buy?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 PM

I went to best buy and did find out that they will install things you didn't buy from them. They charge the same as if you did so if you don't like the units they have, then buy the one you want and just let them install.

One thing he did tell me was that I wouldn't be able to watch movies from the oem DVD player to the new radio. I don't believe this since there are video inputs on most of the units. I was looking at kenwoods top model. It has two video inputs.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:00 PM

not that it maters but the stock nav does have fader controls. You just have to use the interface to get to it.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:37 PM

You're right. I looked right over it. Actually, I sold my first H2 to my buddy and was saying the same thing to him. He looked at me like "what?" and proceeded to show me. haha thanks though. If you want to hide something, just put it in front of my face.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 AM

I was dead set on upgrading my head unit as well but like Coachwesh2 said for what they want to the onstar,bose, and steering wheel adapters, ect plus the DVD player wont play while the car is in drive. "which I totaly understand" but I'm not going to make my wife sit in the back on a road trip to watch a movie. I decided not to change it out. That is "NEW TIRES AGAIN" money. lol

Quick Reply: Nav replacement questions....