PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 'leans"

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Default The 'leans"

Hello all. New to HUMMERs and to this forum. Long-time auto, scooter, and aircraft mechanic so comfortable working on whatever.

This '04 H2 Lux I bought a few months back after searching for the better part of a year has about 140k on it and is a straight-up no-shame watch-out-for-that-puddle Street Queen. No lift, stock wheels. It's spent some time in Colorado during the winters so there is some heavy rust on things like the front driveshaft, rear bumper, air compressor carrier, front bump stops rusted right off, upper and lower control arms pretty rusty.

That said it drives like a dream, the PO replaced tons of parts at THE DEALER. Yeah, I know. New hubs, brakes and shoes, braided lines, BCM, engine computer, wiper motor, fuel pump & sender, instrument cluster, and a bunch of other stuff. He really maintained it except for the underside. It also has an SCT program on it but haven't had time to look at what it is.

So I've got a lot to keep me busy in the coming months. One issue I'm not seeing an easy solution to is 'the leans'. The truck leans about and inch and a half to the right. Look at it head-on or butt-on and you end up tilting your head to make it look right. There's an inch to inch and a half difference in the distance from the top of the tire to the edge of the wheel well between the left and right side of the truck.

Tires are same size and brand, all inflated equally. PO says the shocks are new but I question that, look groty and the rubber inserts are weather-cracked. Leans the same with the air bags up or down. Air bags do look funky tho, I'll try to get a pic and post it. They look like they are bent out of alignment, like a spring that's trying to pop out of its mount, pushed to one side like.

Don't see any bent or busted frame or suspension mounts. The lean is about the same front and rear, so looking for a commom cause on the right side. Torsion bars and control arms are obviously worn - the hex head has gaps where the control arm or torsion bar or both have worn down - but could that cause it to sag on one side? Both sides look equally worn and replacement is on the to-do list for the near future.

Think that about covers it. Been here awhile, already done some things to the truck based on thread-surfing. But scratching my head on the leans.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:59 AM

You said that the bumpstops onthe front are completely rotted off? Those bumpstops are actually dampeners. And the truck actually rides om them at all times. I thought people were nuts when they sAid theres were pooched as i only thought they would make contact when you were at full flex (droop). Mine were rotted out and a noticable difference in handling was the result.

I also think you are on the right track with a shock or bushing. Jeep cjs often lean when a shackle bushing is gone.

I dont have airbags as i made sure to find one with the coil swap so i wouldnt have to seal with it. Is your compressor continually running?

Is it always leaning or just when you go to deive it for the first time yhat day?

Old 08-19-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by madmayo
You said that the bumpstops onthe front are completely rotted off? Those bumpstops are actually dampeners. And the truck actually rides om them at all times. I thought people were nuts when they sAid theres were pooched as i only thought they would make contact when you were at full flex (droop). Mine were rotted out and a noticable difference in handling was the result.
Yep, completely gone on the right, mangled on the left.
I also think you are on the right track with a shock or bushing. Jeep cjs often lean when a shackle bushing is gone.

I dont have airbags as i made sure to find one with the coil swap so i wouldnt have to seal with it. Is your compressor continually running?
Compressor doesn't run continuously but there's a relay in the back underneath that clicks on and off like 8 times when I shut the truck off. Sometimes it does it at stop lights.

Is it always leaning or just when you go to deive it for the first time yhat day?
Always leaning.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Retired Baby Boomer
Maybe the drivers significant other (passenger) weighed about 500lbs and it took its toll on the right side suspension ; ) ?
Nah, she's a little twig.
My 2003 had 90k miles on it and it had the exact same symptom's you are having so I had to replace the shocks and rear coils and that solved everything. I also took the whole compressor carrier out. I installed all 4 shocks and coils and it brought my truck up so it is 42"s on all 4 corners measuring from the underside of the fender lips to the cement ground with my stock 315/70R17's. I love the smooth ride now. I installed KYB MonoMax Heavy Duty Monotube Gas Shocks. 2 fronts KYB565102, 2 rear KYB565095. The rear coils are Arnott C-2138. Make sure you spray all the bolts you will be removing with your choice of (liquid wrench, M80 or ?) about 3 days in advance every day to make the nuts come off easier. Mine were rusty also from the good old Minnesota salt. Amazon was about half the price of any retail store for the parts. Happy wrenching...........p.s you don't need top or bottom insulators with these coils. I have had no rattle and the whole job took me about 3 hours and that's just because I'm old and have slowed down a bit and my air compressor is broke : )
Think that's where I'm headed, just take the bags out and install coils and new shocks. Thanks for the part #s, saves a lot of footwork.Anyone know if those bumpers are available? The control arms I've seen don't look like they come with them.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:50 PM

[IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-19-2015, 04:56 PM

The 'leans"-img_4612.jpg

The 'leans"-img_4613.jpg

Last edited by flyday58; 08-20-2015 at 09:21 AM. Reason: eliminate extraneous wordaginginess
Old 08-19-2015, 04:57 PM

Shoulda read the FAQs first...

Old 08-20-2015, 09:13 AM

So anyone know if just cranking on the keys will fix the leaning issue, at least temporarily? I'm looking at replacing uppers, lowers, torsions and keys as a winter project but we're moving first, so it has to wait.

Ordered new shocks all around, new bump stops/ dampers, and will order some coils later today.

It was funny, in doing a search for coils I came across a thread on another forum where a guy with a Yukon wanted to swap coils for air bags, so he bought a set of H2 bags and swapped his coils for them!

Old 08-22-2015, 12:29 PM

Got the front shocks yesterday. When I went to install them and jacked up the left wheel that clicking noise started up in the back. Unplugged the compressor and it stopped. Came out the next morning and the truck was level! It was squatting on its hunkers, but it was level. So bags come out, coils go in.

What's the trick to getting the shocks off thr front? Actually never changed shocks before. Do you just jack it up, loosen the top nut and pull the bottom bolt out? Or is there more to it? I need to get some manuals but we're moving so gonna wait till we're in the new place. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:59 PM

Thanks RBB. The front shocks are so rusty a crescent wrench won't hold them so looking at the old vice grips. Rears came today so haven't looked at them yet. Plus it's 98º out here in Ole Miss so not too fashed about getting out there right now.

I'm gonna readdress the air bags, might just keep them. And the compressor bracket is one of thee-most rusted parts on the truck, looks like the bolts will just break off. I'll try tho, thanks for all the advice.

Quick Reply: The 'leans"