PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior dash lights question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Default Interior dash lights question

My 2006 H2 has a couple interior dashboard and steering wheel lights out. Couple by the AC controls, One by the speedo and a couple on the steering wheel. Has anyone ever changed those? How easy is it? Where do you get the bulbs and what kind? It can be difficult to change certain things at night and I like everything working on my vehicles. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:10 PM

I did a full interior swap to LED on all of my bulbs, including the center stack, dash, door controls, basically every light inside I changed to LED.

The AC controls you will need to disassemble by removing the center stack trim and taking out the screws which hold it in. You can then pull out the AC controls and disassemble that portion.

Steering wheel controls just pull forward with a small screwdriver or dental pick. Wiggle it between the button pack and the steering wheel material and work it forward a bit. Once you can see the wires you'll need something to reach behind there and release the clip holding the harness to the button pack. Then you can take those apart and replace the lights or just install new button packs.

The speedo requires removing the cluster and disassembling the cluster to reach the board and lights. The lights are in plastic bases which need to be desoldered, old light removed, and new one installed into the base then everything is soldered back to the board. You can find many youtube vids on doing the cluster.

Everything is pretty easy-just time consuming if you have decent soldering skills. LED's, bulbs, whatever you may need can be found online-ebay, amazon, anywhere.

All the bulbs in the stack and cluster use 12v bulbs/LEDs while some of the door controls use 3.4v LED's which are surface mount.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Default Light bulb size for the dash and Shifter and AC controls

Thank you for the tips. Any chance you could send a link to the light bulbs you are referring to. I do not want to buy the wrong ones. I also want to get them in hand before I take dash apart so I can do all in one shot. I suppose I can change them to LED's if that doesn't mess anything up. I noticed the bulbs are out at the shifter as well. I really appreciate the help.
Not sure if there are different size bases or not. Thank you.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:59 PM
Old 10-19-2015, 09:43 PM

I have the same issues with my '06 and had it checked by a dealership. I thought it was bulbs or a loose connection, but turns out it's some kind of ridiculously expensive board. Needless to say, my lights are still out.

Hopefully your issue really is bulbs (I've considered trying to swap bulbs anyway just in case the dealership is wrong).

Old 10-19-2015, 10:06 PM

Does this apply to the 08/09 models?

Old 10-21-2015, 02:33 AM

Not me but my buddy used 194 LED for the doors and 16 universal LED for others.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:12 AM

I cannot confirm if those cluster LED's you linked will work or not. I just desoldered the bases on my stock cluster bulbs, removed the bulb and replaced with LED's. Bend the leads through the base and resoldered. Pretty easy.

Shift lights will use a standard 194/168 bulb and with most other bulbs in the interior with the exception of the dash, door controls, and center stack. For those you will need 12 volt LED's for the center stack components, cluster, driver side dash. The door controls (window controls and seat heater controls) I believe used a 3.4 or 3.7volt leds. They are not a full 12 volt in those controls. Also some of those are SMD led's so you have to get pretty creative with soldering in regular LED's but it is all possible as I've done everything inside my rig.

Also I recommend diffused lenses for everything minus the door controls to better disperse the light and cut down on "hot spots" from the LED's.

I have buidl threads on the other forums with a ton of pics. Unfortunately not much on the LED swap but there's a few.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I did a full interior swap to LED .......
Do you have and pics or part numbers for button packs, thanks

Old 11-26-2015, 11:00 PM

no part numbers, I desoldered all the factory bulbs and soldered in LED's in everything. Used my stock button packs and everything else. Just swapped in LED's.