PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! What bolt/screw size?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Default HELP! What bolt/screw size?

I've been out playing in the snow and the dash around the speedo cluster was rattling badly. I just got home and went to tightened everything up and found the two screws/bolts that go in from the underside from inside the speedo cluster are missing.
Can anyone tell me what size they are? I need to buy two of them and put them in before the rattle drives me nuts!

I attached a pic to show which ones I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails HELP!  What bolt/screw size?-h2-dash.jpg  
Old 01-11-2011, 09:36 AM

Nobody? This rattle is killing me, but I need to know what size to get. I know it's not the same as the visible bolts holding the dash together.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 AM

Is there another bolt like it that you can remove and take to the hardware store to match up. I am sure an Ace Hardware or even a GM dealer will have a bolt for you.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:17 PM

Tried anything I had at the house, plus some bolts already in the H@ in some places, plus all the bolts I removed from the Viper (changed out all the stock for chrome plated). Nothing fits.

I may have to go to Ace and grab a handful of bolts and walk out to the car and try them all until I find one that fits.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by calif phil
Is there another bolt like it that you can remove and take to the hardware store to match up. I am sure an Ace Hardware or even a GM dealer will have a bolt for you.
im thinking he meant for you to pull one of the bolts and to take it to the hardware store to see if they have something that the thread matchs. the bolt head wont match, but it should stop the rattling.

your best bet to find matching bolts would be a dealership that can order them, or maybe gmpartsdirect.com or somethign if you can come up with a item number.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:40 PM

Okay, I went out and pulled one outta the dash to get some measurements off it and came up with a screw just like this one......

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/4_2...v_p/a12061.htm

but the 13mm length is not correct, it needs to be 19mm long if you want it to be the same length.

The head dia. was the hard part to find out of all the screws at the site, which unless you want a hundred of them, I would get what you need elsewhere. The site does have a lot of automotive fasteners, just a fyi.

My measurements were .165 inch (4.2mm) thread dia. with 18 threads per inch (1.41mm thread pitch = 18 threads per inch) X .75 inch (19mm) in length. Head is a Phillps and is .334 inch (8.5mm) in dia.

Hope this helps, Ed

Attached Thumbnails HELP!  What bolt/screw size?-img_0226.jpg  

Last edited by Easy Ed; 01-11-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:44 PM

Thanks Easy!

I couldn't even tell what kind of thread I needed. All of the other stuff for the dash is socket head cap screws with machine threads. I would have been looking for different sizes of those to try at Ace. Looks like that's not what I need at all.

Thanks Again!

Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 PM

No problem TowDawg, hope ya can now find what ya need. They are a GM part but I couldn't find the correct part number for the length, maybe check with a GM dealership and see if they can find it (a good parts guy should be able to) with the info I gave ya.

Later, Easy

Originally Posted by TowDawg
Thanks Easy!

I couldn't even tell what kind of thread I needed. All of the other stuff for the dash is socket head cap screws with machine threads. I would have been looking for different sizes of those to try at Ace. Looks like that's not what I need at all.

Thanks Again!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 PM

are you talking about the hex bolts with the rounded heads that hold various pieces of the dash together?

no socket head bolts are on the dash unless they have been replaced with standard bolts from the previous owner.

http://hummerpartsclub.com/mm5/merch...de=H2_interior

these are the bolts that are similiar to what is stock. if this is not what you are talking about.... umm then im confused

Old 01-12-2011, 06:24 AM
Banned

self threading,goes into nylon or metal clip,"tinnerman".

try smaller,loose fit,then get one bigger when its a snug fit but goes in, you got it.

go to junk yard and get a hand full free

Quick Reply: HELP! What bolt/screw size?