PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2-Snow-? ... Canada road trip Dec

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:57 PM
Default H2-Snow-? ... Canada road trip Dec

Hello everyone

Booked a couple weeks for the end of the year between Ontario and New York ..planning to ski , etc .. Driving from Miami way north... Anyway

Questions are :

I've driven different vehicles on severe winter cond (while vac in wyoming) however never a Hummer ..

1-What are the best combination for the different winter cond I could find such as snow, ice , etc
(TCS,Four-Wheel-High Lock
• Four-Wheel-Low Lock
• Four-Wheel-Low Lock and Rear Axle Lock)

2- Im getting the new Goodyear duratrack in a week ( supposedly these tires are great in winter) Should also get a tire chains .. If so can I go with a cheap ones . I dnt want to spend in something I may not use ever

3- My truck is in great cheap with 80k miles , is any extra maintenance required . Any special adjustment for winter

4 How should I run the tires pressure . Usually I put a couple psi over to get better MPG . is it safe in winter

5 - How does the Mpg fluctuates in cold , should get better mpg cause no Ac needed or ?

lot of questions Thanks

Old 10-01-2014, 08:04 AM

You won't need chains. MPG should stay about the same. You should not need Low 4x4 unless the snow is REALLY bad or you get stuck.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by calif phil
You won't need chains. MPG should stay about the same. You should not need Low 4x4 unless the snow is REALLY bad or you get stuck.
Thank you Calif

Im driving from west of NY to the niagarafalls . Then Northwest of Ontario . back to NY ( manhattan) then back home .. around 4000 miles total, If you remember last year I was planning a RT to the west but couldnt do it . This time Im not even checking the air fares and already got the reservations , so this time is for real . Hopefully there is enough snow to get stuck so I had a chance to use the 4x4 lo

I got download the owner manual so Im checking the different uses for the 4x4 .. never hurt to know

Last edited by H2Miami; 10-01-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:34 PM

Just have good tires (Duratrac's like you are planning work well) and drive carefully. AWD + traction control should be fine for all but the deep stuff. We get plenty of snow here in UT and I've never had to use anything other than 4-hi unlocked.

I do like to run tire pressure a bit lower in the winter for a bit more traction. Just remember the H2 is big and heavy, ABS, AWD, traction control and good tires helps a lot but you're not going to be able to corner and stop like a little Subaru.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:51 PM

@skeptic

I've been in Utah before , drive(not hummer) from Salt lake city to Jackson hole . Beautiful way.

Thank you for the advise , I will run the tire pressure little high for the hyw till I get close to the north then reduce it for the traction as needed . Will take it easy at least till I get in that little Subaru

Old 10-05-2014, 09:59 PM

Took mine to colorado once and got stuck in the steep drive way of the house we were staying at. Put it in low gear, locker engaged and up the hill I went with no issues
However it is not invincible. I plowed into a manmade snowbank on I70 from some one that had dug their car out. I did 80 miles an hour and the road was clean. I cam from behind a semi and there it was. The H2 started sliding but luckily I kept it under control and got on dry paved and could correct.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:57 AM

@nlhummer Thank you for the input .. I got the manual to double check all the 4x4 features which I never need to use in Miami but may be helpful in winter cond .

Something I learned while driving in the west to never ever even with clear open road exceed the 55 mph .

We were driving a FJ cruiser (rented, nice btw) @70-75 then suddenly found a herd of Bison crossing the road . fortunately the FJ is light and we were able to stop with effort , the car skid for a couple ft before stop .
was scare as $hit .. next 10 min we enjoy the animals on the road .

Old 10-06-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
Hello everyone

Booked a couple weeks for the end of the year between Ontario and New York ..planning to ski , etc .. Driving from Miami way north... Anyway

Questions are :

I've driven different vehicles on severe winter cond (while vac in wyoming) however never a Hummer ..

1-What are the best combination for the different winter cond I could find such as snow, ice , etc
(TCS,Four-Wheel-High Lock
• Four-Wheel-Low Lock
• Four-Wheel-Low Lock and Rear Axle Lock)

2- Im getting the new Goodyear duratrack in a week ( supposedly these tires are great in winter) Should also get a tire chains .. If so can I go with a cheap ones . I dnt want to spend in something I may not use ever

3- My truck is in great cheap with 80k miles , is any extra maintenance required . Any special adjustment for winter

4 How should I run the tires pressure . Usually I put a couple psi over to get better MPG . is it safe in winter

5 - How does the Mpg fluctuates in cold , should get better mpg cause no Ac needed or ?

lot of questions Thanks

Your Ok as you sit now,

Duratracks are good, had them on my H3. Run your normal air pressure. Your milage won't change under normal conditions.

If you get in really deep snow you may want to put it in 4-low & lock the diff, but keep in mind your limited in mph.

I am in northern PA were its not uncommon to have snow by Halloween

Only item you may want is good winter wiper blades and check that your defroster is HOT. In heavy snow Hummers build-up snow at the base of the windshield which then gets under your blades. Its not unusual for me to ride around with my Heater /defroster on high with my drivers /passenger windows down and 1" or 2" to let the heat out.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ak47dennis
Your Ok as you sit now,

Duratracks are good, had them on my H3. Run your normal air pressure. Your milage won't change under normal conditions.

If you get in really deep snow you may want to put it in 4-low & lock the diff, but keep in mind your limited in mph.

Only item you may want is good winter wiper blades and check that your defroster is HOT. In heavy snow Hummers build-up snow at the base of the windshield which then gets under your blades. Its not unusual for me to ride around with my Heater /defroster on high with my drivers /passenger windows down and 1" or 2" to let the heat out.
Good winter wiper blades.. for a sec I thought you was kidding .. I didn't know there were an specific wiperblades for winter .. good point ...
Im staying in WV (1000 miles from sunshine home)for a night before hit the way to Ny . Stopping on the way to check PA museum .
I read around buffalo and niagara the winter cond could be very tough due to the lake effect

Well send me snow.
Me and the orange beast we are ready

Old 10-06-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ak47dennis
Your Ok as you sit now,

Good winter wiper blades.. for a sec I thought you was kidding .. I didn't know there were an specific wiperblades for winter .. good point ...
Im staying in WV (1000 miles from sunshine home)for a night before hit the way to Ny . Stopping on the way to check PA museum .
I read around buffalo and niagara the winter cond could be very tough due to the lake effect

Well send me snow.
Me and the orange beast we are ready

Quick Reply: H2-Snow-? ... Canada road trip Dec