Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Fuel pump replacement H2

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Default Fuel pump replacement H2

Do I need to remove / lower the gas tank to replace the fuel pump on a H2 ?
I cannot see any access panel from inside cabin floor. the please help..

Old 07-06-2011, 02:38 PM

Yes you have to drop the tank. I paid to have mine done as it went out in Februray with a full tank. There was no way I was gonna do that job at home in the cold with a full tank. At a dealer expect to pay roughly $900 to have it all done.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

You can do it yourself though.... the hardest part is dropping the Tank, like Eric stated. I piece of plywood, a ratchet strap, and a floorjack makes that MUCH easier.

The next hardest part is the retaining ring. I suggest a hammer and a brass drift to tap it into freedom.

The pump is around $400ish... and comes complete.

Just for the sake of curiousity, why are you replacing it? for performance or failure?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:00 PM

My fuel pump went on my 03 and it was $600.00 for the fuel pump and another $600.00 to have it installed and a new fuel filter put on the H-2. Total was just over $1200.00 after tax and all the other charges.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

That's a huge ripoff....

I was wrong... the pump is only a little over $300 now... for an OEM pump...

GM Parts | GM Accessories | GM Parts House Store H2&year=2003&graphicID=GP03560&callout=7&catalogid =2&displayCatalogid=0

Old 07-11-2011, 12:05 PM

yea 1200 is a big rip off. If you can try to do it at home.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Default Update

Thanks everyone for your advise,
My Mechanic got the engine started today by connecting 12volts directly to the original fuel pump from a separate battery.
The engine ran smoothly and check light went out.

Does anyone have some ideas what to do now ??

Im thinking a broken wire on the fuel electrical harness somewhere or a bad FPCM, but Im not sure the engine would run if the FPCM was stuffed, seems strange.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:08 PM

Just for future reference, my lines rotted off the top of the sending unit. I ordered a new complete unit from ebay for 150 bucks. Also got a new retaining ring from GM for 10 bucks or so. Took a couple hours, but it wasn't a huge job. Just made sure the tank was near empty when I dropped it, and then completely emptied it before putting it back up.

As for your problem, I would just grab some wiring diagrams and start tracing wires. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by blackdragon
Thanks everyone for your advise,
My Mechanic got the engine started today by connecting 12volts directly to the original fuel pump from a separate battery.
The engine ran smoothly and check light went out.

Does anyone have some ideas what to do now ??

Im thinking a broken wire on the fuel electrical harness somewhere or a bad FPCM, but Im not sure the engine would run if the FPCM was stuffed, seems strange.
He needs to check and see if there is a power and ground to the fuel pump. I would suggest that the ground to the pump is bad, maybe a fuel pump relay. It could still just have a fuel pump that is worn out.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Default fuel leak in 2005 H2

I have a fuel leak, dripping from the bottom of the tank. If this is a line or sensor, how many hours labor to drop the tank and repair a line, then finish?? Any feedback. I would assume this job should be no more then a couple hours

Quick Reply: Fuel pump replacement H2