PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust manifold bolt broke

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Default Exhaust manifold bolt broke

Got an 05 H2 and the head broke off the rear bolt that holds the manifold on , has this happened to anyone? Is it easy to take the other bolts out? Thx!

Old 06-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

3 of mine broke off. I rounded 4 more off taking them out.

I torched the ones that rounded, and once the manifold was off I welded nuts to the broekn off ones.

I replaced them with Edlebrock Shorty headers I got from Brodie over at Ridgedemon.com.

The headers are cheaper than new manifolds, and they come complete with gaskets and hardware.

(once I got mine off I noticed that I had a cracked manifold)

It's not an easy job. I am a professional mechanic lacking none of the tools to do this job correctly, and it took me and another guy 8-9 hours to replace the manifolds with headers. Nothing went easy at all. I also had to torch the collector bolts because the studs were spinning in the manifolds.

If yours is 2 years newer than mine you might have better luck. As always YMMV.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:52 AM

thank you for the reply,I took it to a muffler shop and they said it would be 250 bucks just to try to take it off, and said it could be way more than that, they told me to soak all the bolts real good with pbt bolt breaker i think it is called and they mite come out. This is rediculous though an 05 with 60k miles on it really!, with all you did how much did you have wraped up in it all?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 PM

Did mine by myself and i'm by no means a professional mechanic. I torched alot of mine and had to weld nuts on 3 or 4 as well just to get them off.
Penetrating oil only allowed me to put the hard work off for a day while I assumed it would loosen it up.

My manifold wasnt cracked fortunately but I have 170k on my 03 so it was time. I went with borla headers I got from someone on craigslist who said he bought them and realized he couldnt do the work himself so he just didnt bother to do it at all...

IMHO if you dont have a torch and welder handy, dont even try. You might be getting yourself into a situation where your gonna have to call a tow truck to take it someplace to finish the job.

Might want to check around for an off road shop, or a mechanic who regularly services trucks and such to do the work rather than a "muffler shop". probably get a better deal and better results.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

if a muffler shop told you $250 TO EVEN ATTEMPT, then they are being honest... if I were you I'd buy the headers, a couple pizzas or a bucket of KFC, and attempt to make a friend with the shop...

it's not a fun job... if you were my neighbor I'd do it again in a heartbeat just because we would be drinking beer and cussing this awful job... if I didn't know you.... $500 and I'd still be getting screwed....

Old 06-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

BTW.... don't think he bolts are stuck in the heads.... they are not.... it's the bolts that are the problem... not the heads... the ones...(one) that came out came out easy.... same with the ones that had nuts welded to the studs...

if you wanted to spend a few days.... and lose some knuckle skin.... you MIGHT be able to turn some of them with a good pair of vice-grips.... or some snap-on TURBO sockets...

Old 06-25-2011, 10:33 PM

The entire job took 2 hours! Every bolt came out with ease ! And the stud I got out with a pair of pliers! I sprayed everything w the pbt blaster got new gasket on now and purs like a kitten thx for the help !!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

AWESOME!!!!!!! You should go play the lottery because you are one lucky dude......