PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 h2 warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Unhappy 2004 h2 warning lights

wow my h2 has gone crazy, first the check airbag light came on, after a couple days the seatbelt light came on, now the abs light is on, power windows don't work, radio quit, heater quit, sun roof quit, the charge light came on, however it still starts and runs fine. when I turn the key to acc the windows will work. what in the world is going on? any help out there please?????

Old 06-27-2010, 07:30 PM

Greetings sterlingmarlin30:

This is going to sound like an Off-The-Wall reply and it's not likely to be of very much help to you but, here goes.

A couple of years back we had some customers bring their H2 into the shop where I was working. Their complaint was that their sunroof and their backup sensors and their backup camera just up and quit working.

They were stumped because it was all working up until they got back from vacation.

Their H2 had been stored in the barn at the in laws ranch. When I checked all the circuits it seemed like everything was in order but for some reason the items I listed above were just not powering up.

I pulled down the headliner just enough to access the wires on their sunroof and found that the ground wire had been cleanly severed. It looked like it had been deliberately cut with a pair of side-cutters.

Once I patched that ground wire back up the sunroof was working again. I could have sworn that ground wire had been sabotaged.

Since the power wire of both reverse tail lamps was used to power the other two components that had stopped working, I pulled the driver side tail lamp off and found the same thing there.

Both the power and ground wires going to the backup camera had been clipped so I patched them up and the backup camera was up and running again.

I then pulled the passenger side tail lamp off. I couldn't believe it; all of the thinner aftermarket wires have been cut into little bitty pieces. All those little pieces of wire were just laying at the bottom of the well that houses the tail lamp; along with what appeared to be rodent droppings.

By "rodent droppings" I mean, rat crap. I had difficulty believing that a rat could make such perfectly clean cuts through those copper wires.

Just out of curiosity I decided to pull the headliner down again just to see if any of the other sunroof wires had been cut or chewed on. I pulled it down a little further this time so I could stick my drop-light in for a better look.

I was holding the headliner down pretty far and just as I was about to stick my drop-light into the open space I'd created an avalanche of small football shaped rat crap came rolling down into my face. (Can you say Junta Virus?)

I'd never seen anything like that before in my life. If it had only been the severed ground wire to the sunroof that needed fixing I would have been inclined to implicate the in laws. It would have looked like they were trying to get revenge on their daughter or son for marrying that guy or gal.

Learn from this children!

So I guess the moral of this story is, If you go on an extended vacation, don't store your H2 in a barn infested with rats.

If your H2 starts exhibiting sporadic unexplainable failures, check your wiring for rat-sabotage.

This really did happen but, all kidding aside; If you've had aftermarket electronics installed in your H2, alot of these aftermarket products use some the circuits you've listed in order to feed power to them.

If you haven't already done so, check the electrical connectors that lead to or from the factory component that have quit working.

Did you recently have some reason to pull up the fuse box under the hood. Maybe to access some wires for some reason? If so, it's possible that when it was put back it was not pushed all the way down into its original position. (just guessing here)

Sorry I couldn't offer much in the way of specific help to you. The symptoms you described just reminded me of the event I've just shared.

Upholstryguy