PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 gasoline wagon stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Default 1995 gasoline wagon stalling problem

I have a serious problem with my '95 Gas wagon (60K miles) that I've had for many years and have yet to resolve.

My wagon runs fine under all normal conditions and, as long as I'm moving in traffic, have never had an engine stall. However, after driving around for an hour or so, I often (about 1 outings in 3 now) find that the engine stalls after I stop my motion (e.g., at a traffic light).

When this happens the engine just won't start. It usually just barely starts, then stutters, coughs and eventually dying dies after ~10-15 sec. Sometimes it starts fine then runs normally 15-30 sec, and then just gradually dies, like it's running out of gas. So it acts like fuel starvation problem. I can hear the fuel pump after it dies, so that seems to be working ok.

I've always been able to get going again if I wait ~30' to an hour, so I think the problem might be heat related.

Once I called a tow truck, took it to my local repair shop (Sherman Oaks Hummer in Los Angeles). When it got there it was working fine. So apparently I have no way to have a technician look at the problem. That time they replaced the spark plug wires and did a complete tune up. According to them, they talked to AMG about the problem, and this was AMG's only suggestion.

At one time I replaced the ignition control module, which has to be thermally connected to a base plate with conducting oil. But that didn't help. I also changed the fuel filter with no effect.

As it stands, it is dangerous to drive, since I don't know where/when it will stall next. If I can't fix it, I see no alternative but to get rid of it. And who would buy it with this gremlin in it?

The only suggestion I've had is to install a fuel pressure gage and use that to (maybe) diagnose the problem. However, I'd prefer not having to go to heroic efforts to figure out the problem.

Any ideas anyone?

Greg Nash
Los Angeles