Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Replacing both catalytic converters

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by myrddin
Thanks buddy! So would you say that if the bolt heads are all there that I should keep as is? And if that’s true would you say to keep an eye on them and if one of the bolt heads break then it’s time to go in and replace all the bolts and gaskets?
My thoughts would be to take advantage of the fact that all the bolt heads are there and replace them and the gaskets now or before a problem comes up.

Good Luck!

Old 08-10-2018, 07:29 AM

Haha... man. Yes good point. Dang it. I’ll see what happens. I’m starting the removal today.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:22 PM

If the bolts have been replaced (header install) chances are good you wont have an issue,

the factory bolts are of poor quality and break often, my 08 has 1 broken bolt.

Once replaced with good bolts they rarely fail again,

I would give it a shot and see what happens,

Neal

Old 08-10-2018, 07:06 PM

I ordered the bolts and am about to order the gaskets. Mixman is this the right one?

Remflex 2008 Exhaust Gasket for Chevy V8 Engine, (Set of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2HM5NA/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_DAIBBbXN97KD7

I started working on it tonight. I pulled the skid, and was able to unbolt and remove the driver side easy. The passenger side converter bolts are all ate up. I cut off the ones I could get to. I’m down to one bolt on the back side where the converter meets the header. I think I need some kind of socket that will bite into the metal there really isint a lot of flat left on it for me to turn. Ideas? Extractor of some sort?

i can see the manafold bolts better now. I think they are all there but I’m afraid they are also not as flat as they used to be. Once I can get to them I’ll see how the socket feels on them.

I have a bunch bunch of questions. I’m just so beat from being under the Hummer that I’m going to have to ask tomorrow. Sucks getting old!

please let me know on the part number and what ideas you have to get that last bolt out. Thinking extractor set and work it from the top and bottom.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:31 PM

I just ordered the riemfkex 2008 gaskets. Now I just need to focus on the bolts....

Old 08-11-2018, 08:10 AM

Yeah that was the right gasket set to order. Broken manifold bolts are a pain. Remove the front wheels and black plastic wheel housing liners to make access easier. Well worth the extra 15 minutes... On mine I had 4 broken bolts but ultimately failed to extract all but one. The rear drivers side one just kicked my *** for a few hours... Mine had been broken there for quite some time and I previously already had one of the clamp repair brackets to clamp that one down so I just put that back on with my new headers and it works just fine.

If it comes to it - this is the drivers side rear one (or pass side front).
Amazon Amazon

There is another one that clamps the rear pass or front driver ends.

Kroil is awesome stuff for repeatedly soaking rusted bolts. On mine I soaked the bolts a few times over a prior week. Then just prior to pulling them, while the front end was on jack stands, etc I ran the engine for about 3 minutes to heat things up just a little. Then went at them. 2 more bolts ended up breaking off for a total of 4. Three extracted pretty easily.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:25 AM

I hope things work out for me. I guess we will see. I still have one of the converter bolts to get out. Then I’ll work on the headers. I’m going to pick up a tank of mapp gas and some bolt extractors. I’ll let you guys know how it goes. I’m expecting the worst, because that’s all I’ve read about. Thing is if I can’t get them all out without braking them I’m not sure how to get them repaired. I guess I’ll figure that out when I get there.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:12 AM

I am taking a brake it’s hot this morning. I was able to use a bolt extractor kit (and my son ) to get the last converter to header bolt out. So now I have both cars off. I also pulled the fender liners as recommended. I picked up some PB Blaster and soaked the bolts as best I could. Going to give them an hour and soak them agn. I picked up a tank of mapp gas so I can heat up the area around the bolts (as you know they are hard to get too, so I’ll do the best I can). Should I remove the plug wires?

On a a side note I have many questions about things I’ve discovered along the way. I may make another post asking things. But this one seems to be related. My passenger side fender liner is melted a bit in the area of the header. Should I get some heat wrap? Or could it be that who ever installed them may not have had the liners in right? Unsure if it’s normal

Old 08-11-2018, 11:35 AM

No thats not normal but if the particular headers come that close there is not much you can do other than trimming the wheel liner or wrapping the header pipes where they come close. Many strongly recommend against wrapping headers as it traps moisture and will reduce their life dramatically in the long run. Only good option in my opinion is to get ceramic coated headers but that is expensive.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:56 AM

Thanks! I’ll keep as is for now. I’m about to go out and try the first header manafold bolt I’ll let you know how it goes

Quick Reply: Replacing both catalytic converters