PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Replacing bulb on rear wiper control

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 06:28 PM
Default Replacing bulb on rear wiper control

2004 H2
My rear wiper control has had the bulb out for some time. I'm just now getting around to wanting to fix it. Is it easy to take apart? I'm assuming the bulb is soldered on because that's what I ran into when fixing the climate control bulbs. Does anyone know the bulb size or part number? I've been putting regular bulbs in for my replacements and not LEDs. Also my headlight switch is 2 different colors. I'm assuming the previous owner replaced a bulb and put in the wrong color (or wrong condom covering). As always any help is greatly appreciated! I searched the forums on this topic becuz it has gotta be common but didn't see anything about taking it apart or what bulb to replace. I'm looking for guidance to save myself time before I take everything apart.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:20 PM

I wished I would have taken more pictures when I did my full LED conversion years ago. Each of those switch packs have the light set up differently. Pull the pack and slowly disassemble it. They are held in from the rear usually with 2 clips on each side. You need to get something to release the clips then the inside comes out and you can see how the bulb is soldered in. Some have blue covers, some don't, some have very long leads, some bulbs are short and soldered directly to the board. They are all easily replaceable though once you are inside.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I wished I would have taken more pictures when I did my full LED conversion years ago. Each of those switch packs have the light set up differently. Pull the pack and slowly disassemble it. They are held in from the rear usually with 2 clips on each side. You need to get something to release the clips then the inside comes out and you can see how the bulb is soldered in. Some have blue covers, some don't, some have very long leads, some bulbs are short and soldered directly to the board. They are all easily replaceable though once you are inside.
Any idea the bulb part number for these or anything that would work? One is the headlight switch the other is the rear wiper switch

Old 03-19-2018, 05:35 PM

They are all just standard 12 volt bulbs. I would mic the bulb size to get a measurement and order them online. I doubt they have a separate part number as the full button pack would just be replaced at the dealer.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:48 AM

Another trick. The headlight switch has a couple of icons on the right side above and below the dimmer that "could" be backlit but the factory decided not to for some reason. Its a bit of work but extra bulbs or LED's can be added to that side to make those light up too.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Another trick. The headlight switch has a couple of icons on the right side above and below the dimmer that "could" be backlit but the factory decided not to for some reason. Its a bit of work but extra bulbs or LED's can be added to that side to make those light up too.
I soldered a new bulb on the rear wiper switch which was easy. For the headlight switch, pulled the old bulb out of the long base and ran new leads and a new bulb. Couldn't find a replacement bulb with that long base anywhere. I just ordered 4.7mm 12v bulbs off eBay. I can see again!