PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Radio to merge with Sirius Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 01:26 AM
Default XM Radio to merge with Sirius Satellite Radio

FYI, I received the following e-mail from XM Satellite Radio today:

February 20, 2007

Dear XM Radio Subscriber:

We want to share with you some exciting news: Yesterday, in Washington DC, we announced XM Radio will be merging with Sirius Satellite Radio to form the premier digital audio service.

The merger will create a satellite radio company that will provide consumers across the country with more and better premium radio programming. The combined company will be able to compete better in what has become a very complex and dynamic entertainment market.

Where today our exclusive contracts mean you had to choose between baseball and football or Oprah and Martha Stewart, the new company will seek to ensure that in the future, you will be able to access both companies' programming. And, once we are fully integrated, those of you who have factory-installed satellite radio will no longer be limited to the programming provided by the exclusive satellite radio service chosen by their car manufacturer.

This merger should be completed in late 2007 or early in 2008. Throughout the year, we will provide updates on how the merger is progressing and information will be available at our website, www.xmradio.com.

Between today and the merger date, as well as during the period immediately after the merger date, all of your services will remain the same. The channel lineup, the customer service number, the great music technology, and the XM Radio web site will all remain unchanged and there will be no disruption to service. But, if you have questions, information will be available and maintained on our website, and you can contact our Listener Care team at 800-XMRADIO, with questions and concerns.

XM Radio continues to be committed to providing you the highest quality audio entertainment and customer service available today. After the merger, our new company will be able to offer you the most exciting listening experience in radio.

Sincerely,

Hugh Panero
CEO, XM Satellite Radio

Old 02-21-2007, 01:31 AM
Default RE: XM Radio to merge with Sirius Satellite Radio

I was just reading that on XM's website. I guess that's good news.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:52 AM

yeah it is
this means xm clients will get nascar back in 08
and get NFL

Old 02-21-2007, 02:11 AM

I'm hoping I'll be able to get CBC on XM soon. Of course they still need to get around the thorny issue that the FCC has specifically forbid them to merge. [&:]

Old 02-21-2007, 02:54 AM

I'll just be happy to have some stations that play something I want to listen too! I got my XM for that special cheap price for a year.. but I've thought about canceling it a few times. I spend more time trying to find something decent to listen to, then anything else while I'm driving. I can just about put it on any genre that I like, on sirius at home, and be happy... if I don't like th esong that's playing usually a better one will be on after it.. but on XM it seems that most everything is what I don't want to hear, and every once in a while they play something I like. [:@]

Old 02-21-2007, 12:56 PM

I saw this as well yesterday in USAToday...makes me wonder (while it's a great thing) will some of us then have to replace the units we have now?? (Thinking I sure am glad I did not spend the $$ on that XM Inno that I had contemplated doing recently if this is the case.)

Old 02-21-2007, 01:13 PM

This sucks :/ I've been a sirius customers for over 4 years if not longer ... I hope the programming doesn't change .. and I CERTAINLY hope the devices won't need to be changed out. I have entirely too much invested in them, both car wise and house wise :/

Old 02-21-2007, 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: littlehummerboy

Of course they still need to get around the thorny issue that the FCC has specifically forbid them to merge. [&:]
judge Greene said the same thing about AT&T when he destroyed that company and broke it into AT&T long distance and 7 baby bells for regional, local service. now AT&T has taken back 3 of the biggest baby bells it spun off years ago, Pacific Bell, Southwestern Bell and Bell South. it will all depend on the lobbyists in DC and how they spin the competition angle. considering the fact that there are only 2 major satellite radio providers, that could get tricky, but they're making their case against terrestrial radio and the new HD broadcasts, as well as online providers. you can bet that they'll raise their rates, and wipe out channels that have similar programming. all i know is that i can't wait to get to listen to Oprah AND Martha Stewart

Old 02-21-2007, 01:29 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: shortbus

ORIGINAL: littlehummerboy

all i know is that i can't wait to get to listen to Oprah AND Martha Stewart

Old 02-21-2007, 01:42 PM

That last line made me sick to my stomach!! Thanks for doing this before lunch, it saved me some money LOL!

Quick Reply: XM Radio to merge with Sirius Satellite Radio