PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you suggest an OEM navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Default Would you suggest an OEM navigation?

How do you guys think about the OEM nav? I just checked and it seems a little disapointing. The map looks like 2D, not as user-friendly as my portable Garmin 350. Also, all the data are stored in the DVD, not an internal Hard Disk or memory card. Should I go for a OEM one for 1000 bucks or an aftermarket one with more functions?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Default OEM Navigation

I have a 2007 H3 and I have the factory navigation.
It seems very adequate for most driving situations on paved roads,
but here are my complaints.
The unit does not give altitude readings and the unit has very little information concerning off road areas. Specifically, national parks, national forest areas and BLM.
I find this rather strange, that a vehicle like ours, which is one of the most prolific off road vehicles, does not give you off road information like I mentioned. Even Hummer adds on TV show it going where others vehicles dare to go.
I contacted Hummer USA, GMC and they all told me that they have no plans to develop a supplemental DVD that would cover this information (certainly not today, considering GM's problems)
I drive all over the central Nevada mountains and I would love to know my altitude and where I'm going
I ended up getting a Lowrance Baja 540 GPS and it shows the tinniest off dirt roads up in the mountains and tells me my altitude
Hope this helps, I just needed to vent a little

Last edited by wfturner; 03-07-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:04 PM

Go with ECLIPSE!!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 10:36 PM
JNR

In my experiences, the oem radios/electronics never seem to be as good as you can get aftermarket for probably half the price...I was amazed that they wanted $1700 for the nav! I mean, if it came with it for free, I wouldn't complain (don't use them), but my plans were to get a Pioneer (or Kenwood of equiv.) stereo with BU camera capability and possibly navigation. Otherwise, those portable units are so cheap now and work well...

Old 03-03-2009, 11:30 PM

Love my Eclipse!!! Way better than the stock unit!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by saywhat
Love my Eclipse!!! Way better than the stock unit!

Hellz YEAH!!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Unhappy

You will get some of your money back with an OEM system. The down side is if you have a monsoon radio/CD system you have to give it up for a cheaper system. I now have a monsoon system setting on my work bench.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:50 PM

Our 2009 H3 Alpha should arrive by end of the month and we wanted with CD changer and the navigation. Dealer suggestion was to order it with the CD changer (Monsoon) and they will install a Kenwood system (CD changer, navigation, back-up camera), keeping Monsoon speakers.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:57 PM
JNR

Are the monsoon speakers any good (comparing to a quality aftermarket)? Meaning, would they be worth keeping instead of spending money on new ones?

I don't want a boombox, but a clean-sounding system (full range) without distortion at even high levels (not blasting, but you know how when you hear a song that you *really* want to get into at the time).

I've just always been disappointed in oem equipment, even the optional, supposed 'names' like bose, infiniti, blaupunkt, etc. Hoping this one is different.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:06 PM

Go with a Garmin. For the $1000+ you would spend at the dealer, you could get the top of the line model that would do so much more. Also, you could put it in your next car when you go to sell the HUMMER.