PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so many problems with Hummers???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Go to the Korean car forums, read the Santa Fe forums. Oh, yeah, there ain't any? Doh.

I've got 32K miles, never had an issue worthy of a trip to the dealer under warranty yet.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:50 PM

You mean like the problem of the frame cracking? OH WAIT that is the FJ, my bad.

People tend to bring up more problems than any other posts because they want feedback on problems. People aren't going to just make posts to say everyday things like "I went to the grocery store today and the H3 drove excellent".

Reading this forum I haven't seen too many people with problems that cannot be resolved by a reputable dealer, some are fairly easy. The 06 head issue was probably the biggest problem with Hummer and it was solved that year. I have an 08 with 28k on her and I am gladly to say she runs as perfect as the day I got her.

Hyundais have problems, Toyotas have problems, Hondas have problems, Hummers have problems...It is a fact that all cars will have problems.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:08 AM

2007 with 40,000 only changed oil. no problems at all

Old 12-12-2009, 08:12 AM

I have an 06 and it is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. It squeaks, ticks, the mirriors shake, the parts on it are cheap, it has the power of a smart car. I have been to the dealer once a week for the last three months and it's an hour drive. I have a jeep Cherokee that has 230,000 miles on it and it runs stronger, is way more quiet, idles way smoother, and rides better than my h3. The h3 idles like a 8 cylinder running on 5.
But for some reason I fn love this thing an won't get rid of it. My wife does too. An our next vehicle will be a hummer as well. So I would say be ready to be sucked into being a hummer owner. It's great.

Last edited by kidstuff; 12-12-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by kidstuff
I have an 06 and it is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. It squeaks, ticks, the mirriors shake, the parts on it are cheap, it has the power of a smart car. I have been to the dealer once a week for the last three months and it's an hour drive. I have a jeep Cherokee that has 230,000 miles on it and it runs stronger, is way more quiet, idles way smoother, and rides better than my h3. The h3 idles like a 8 cylinder running on 5.
But for some reason I fn love this thing an won't get rid of it. My wife does too. An our next vehicle will be a hummer as well. So I would say be ready to be sucked into being a hummer owner. It's great.
If you love the Hummer and plan on sticking with the brand, dump that lemon and buy a different one. Your experience is NOT typical.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:09 PM

06 is the worst year for the H3. As is typical with cars, their first year or so experience the most problems.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by kidstuff
lol, what

I too have gone from a very well looked after 98 Cherokee (I6 with a 5 spd) and my H3T is way more solid feeling. I have the 5 cyl mated to a 5spd, has oodles of power on the highway, the fit and finish is very good all over mine... no wind noise, no mechanical noises (aside from ABS ticking, which sounds much louded in my 07 Honda). It really is a solid and well built feeling vehicle.

I do recall looking at an H3 in the mall once though a few years back and noticing you could push the flimsy plastic around the mirrors in. On mine the mirrors are very solid and once peice.

My best guess is they have really improved on the 06 models. I know my H3T 5cyl has more horsepower and torque and they added in variable valving which gives you a broader power band. I also have some other features like handsfree bluetooth, the 1:69 crawl ratio, front & rear lockers which was not offered on previous models.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:37 PM

I must have a lemon then. As far as parts go, the paint came off of the radio buttons. The replacement radio, only half the lights worked on it. The roof rails cracked. The exhaust heat shield broke, twice. If you grab the rear view mirror to try to move it, it creaks like it's gonna fall apart. Side mirrors shake. Had a rotor replaced. Halfshaft boot was leaking. Spare wheel was replaced cause the clear was flaking off. That's just the parts. Been trying to get the idle fixed. They say it's normal. The ticking is very imbarrasing. When you first start it it makes a rattling noise at first. People say it's because of the vvt, but I would think that should have been addressed and fixed before the first one was sent out. When I make turns the body mounts pop. Getting that fixed next week hopefully. If it was a Hyundai I wouldn't care but it's not. It's a hummer. I will say that hummer has been the best I have ever delt with. They have been more than exeptional.

Last edited by kidstuff; 12-13-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:39 PM

That's all under 30,000 miles. Most of it was under 20

Old 12-13-2009, 04:54 PM

one thing should be noted that how many people actually own a hummer versus the people who actually participate on hummerforums.com to discuss issues going on with their hummer. Some people who ask questions about their hummer may only have a couple of posts and then never heard from again, some vehicles are just rust buckets and they probalby don't have a forum at all. Have faith in Hummer you will not be disappointed despite it's problems, I have had problems with every vehicle I owned.

Quick Reply: Why so many problems with Hummers???