Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   What's your biggest pet peave with your H3? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/whats-your-biggest-pet-peave-your-h3-30953/)

egroegart 06-09-2013 08:24 PM

What's your biggest pet peave with your H3?

We love our H3. It is by far the best(favorite) vehicle I have ever owned. I do have a pet peave with it though. This may be crazy, I don't know and I wonder if any of you have had problems with this. I have lost my credit card in the h3 twice. Michelle has lost hers a few times. We have both lost several other things since we have owned it. And they have all been lost in the same spot.......In between the center console compartment and either the driver's or passenger's seats. There is a space there big enough for a credit card, pen, or any other small important item that can fit through there, but way too small to get your hand in to get the item back out. And there really is no best way to get something out of there other than sticking a yardstick or the vacuum hose and hoping to grab it. It happens at the worst times too, like going through a drive through where they are waiting for you to pay and your credit card falls out of your hand and goes right down there. It's happened so many times we just laugh it off now, but we used to get so pissed. Has anyone else dealt with this or have any other pet peaves about their h3?

Hunner 06-09-2013 08:55 PM

Yea I lost some keys down in there and could not see them until somebody looked from the passengers side.
My pet peave is they don't make them anymore and I have over 60,000 on mine but I don't plan on getting rid of it for a long time.

Foxbat 06-09-2013 09:37 PM

Door unlock delay after putting it in park.

rsc 06-10-2013 12:28 AM

DRL. They should be off unless I turn them on at least the tail lights also come on at the same time unlike my Liberty(dang traffic stops).
Super-wide A Pillars and blind spots. You can seriously miss an entire vehicle in the blindspots!
Lack of a good place for a CB mount.

Infamous360 06-10-2013 12:46 AM

The fact that Hummers arent made anymore. I have no idea what my next vehicle is gonna be. Don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon but the HX did look amazing.

Another one is that parts are becoming harder to find.

Kevwood 06-10-2013 03:30 AM

Two things;

1. The fact that the air vents can not be angled up very high, just low or near horizontal. In the summer I much prefer to have them aimed higher so the air circulates around the cabin better and not so much directly on me.

2. The rears seats do not fold flat.

Other than that, I'm surprised at how much I like the simplistic design of it.

TDavis 06-10-2013 04:21 AM

As a new guy to the Hummer world, I also agree with others... That they don't make them anymore and there are very few aftermarket parts left out there. It does seem that as the "mall crawlers" are being traded in, people that appreciate what they were actually designed for are picking them up. Seems like that would open up an entirely new group of aftermarket consumers.

Aussie H3 06-10-2013 07:15 AM

That they never sold the alpha in Australia, would love to have a V8 H3.

That it does not have an AUX input factory fitted, it's just crazy every other car has had them years before.

ozark1 06-10-2013 07:30 AM

Spelling !!!

RKSmith163 06-10-2013 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by egroegart (Post 298523)
We love our H3. It is by far the best(favorite) vehicle I have ever owned. I do have a pet peave with it though. This may be crazy, I don't know and I wonder if any of you have had problems with this. I have lost my credit card in the h3 twice. Michelle has lost hers a few times. We have both lost several other things since we have owned it. And they have all been lost in the same spot.......In between the center console compartment and either the driver's or passenger's seats. There is a space there big enough for a credit card, pen, or any other small important item that can fit through there, but way too small to get your hand in to get the item back out. And there really is no best way to get something out of there other than sticking a yardstick or the vacuum hose and hoping to grab it. It happens at the worst times too, like going through a drive through where they are waiting for you to pay and your credit card falls out of your hand and goes right down there. It's happened so many times we just laugh it off now, but we used to get so pissed. Has anyone else dealt with this or have any other pet peaves about their h3?

Ditto. I have used compressed air to remove things from under the front seats. My only other complaint is when you fold down the rear seats..flat would be nice...but you also have to move the front seats forward for the rear headrests to clear. I plan on keeping mine a long time.

skeptic 06-10-2013 08:21 AM

No back seat storage in the T. Even just 2 or 3 inches behind the rear seat would be nice.

egroegart 06-10-2013 08:34 AM

I know we all love our hummers. That's obvious. There's just some little things here and there that could have used some more thought in the design stage.

We plan on keeping ours for a long time too.

That sucks Aussie that they were never sold in Australia. Glad you got one though.

sneakypigeons 06-10-2013 09:14 AM

mine is that there are to many ignorant haters out there of hummers. I was in the drive-thru one time and had this high school kid talking **** to me about my hummer while he was driving his moms purple pt cruiser! it was all i could do to not throw it in reverse and crush thr front of his car then just drive away! Apperently because you drive a hummer that means your a fag and have a small penis.....

sneakypigeons 06-10-2013 09:17 AM

needless to say, i'm not a homo and my penis size is none of his concern. my wife seems pretty content with it. lol. but seriously the fact that GM decided to use the I5 motor in the first place is my pet peave.

Kevwood 06-10-2013 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by sneakypigeons (Post 298542)
mine is that there are to many ignorant haters out there of hummers. I was in the drive-thru one time and had this high school kid talking **** to me about my hummer while he was driving his moms purple pt cruiser! it was all i could do to not throw it in reverse and crush thr front of his car then just drive away! Apperently because you drive a hummer that means your a fag and have a small penis.....

I've been hearing more & more comments like this lately on the forums - is it really that bad State side? Here no one cares whatsoever, the H3 is/was quite a popular mid-sized SUV, I've never had anyone say anything but compliments regarding mine.

I guess when I move back to Canada one day and bring my H3 with me I'll start hearing the same smack as you guys.

egroegart 06-10-2013 09:43 AM

My family were the biggest hecklers when we first bought ours. Giving us grief about the gas mileage and how expensive it would be to repair it. 60,000 miles later luckily I've been able to do all the repairs myself. It's actually been one of the cheaper vehicles that I've owned.

We've had a few people here and there be idiots about having a hummer, but for the most part people are just curious and want to know how we like it and the mpg, and what options it has........We get that alot.

onerobertone 06-10-2013 10:35 AM

• The Inline 5
  • The rear seats not folding flat
  • The slight transmission slip (or at least feels like it) when going around a corner.

NJTEX 06-10-2013 02:26 PM

There is an aftermarket fix for losing things down the center console/seat gap. My Solstice has the same problem and an outfit makes this sausage shaped, interior trim finished, stuffed pillow thing that you just tuck into the gap. It blocks your items from falling down into the "black hole" but doesn't interfere with moving the seat around.

My only gripe with the H3 is the need to clean out the sunroof drains every 3 months.

Regarding Hummer in general, I'm pissed that they were axed. At the very least, I had my heart set on buying an HX let alone replacing my current truck with a Gen II H3 too.

Tactical510 06-10-2013 02:48 PM

Mine is, the stupid heated seat button....it clicks on high sometimes when I get in & out..it's the plastic bezel on the side of seat that is being compressed as weight is on seat...I'm 255 & always have to turn that button off...not sure how to fix/alter it just yet...but I'm thinking.

NJTEX 06-10-2013 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical510 (Post 298560)
Mine is, the stupid heated seat button....it clicks on high sometimes when I get in & out..it's the plastic bezel on the side of seat that is being compressed as weight is on seat...I'm 255 & always have to turn that button off...not sure how to fix/alter it just yet...but I'm thinking.

I never had that problem with my '06, just with our new '09. It looks like whoever installed the dvd headrests on the new truck may have broke the mounting pins on the seat base trim so that they now slide down and activate heater switches whenever we hop in the truck.

I haven't ordered them yet but new seat base trim only costs about $20 a side.

staggs 06-10-2013 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical510 (Post 298560)

a well placed screw took care of that problem for me

staggs 06-10-2013 03:56 PM

my biggest gripe is how completely useless the seat cargo nets are and how the slightest touch makes them come off. mine have been hanging in my garage for a couple years now because I got tired of them getting knocked off EVERY single time a person climbed into the back seat

gpcalero 06-10-2013 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by staggs (Post 298564)
my biggest gripe is how completely useless the seat cargo nets are and how the slightest touch makes them come off. mine have been hanging in my garage for a couple years now because I got tired of them getting knocked off EVERY single time a person climbed into the back seat

DITTO!!! ^^^ That happens to be my biggest pet peeve as well. When someone gets in the back, they fall off and people think they broke the car lol. It's very annoying. Another of mine is the front facing door fender flares on the rear wheels, rocks and bugs always impact here and I feel that over time it will scar the paint there. But overall, I love my Hummer. Lil Sparta is a beast of a vehicle.

gpcalero 06-10-2013 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by rsc (Post 298530)
DRL. They should be off unless I turn them on at least the tail lights also come on at the same time unlike my Liberty(dang traffic stops).
Super-wide A Pillars and blind spots. You can seriously miss an entire vehicle in the blindspots!
Lack of a good place for a CB mount.

You can remove the DRL fuse from the fuse box in the engine compartment. I believe mine was #37. Once you remove this fuse, the lights only automatically come on when the light sensor detects dark conditions.

hummerz 06-10-2013 05:56 PM

• Sunroof drains blockage, leaking inside---> I enlarged the drain exit grommets!
  • No ashtray---> I got the "smokers package" on da'bay!
  • Rear seats don't go flat and I have to move the front seats forward, to put the rear seats down as far as they would go---> I removed them completely!

I guess I don't have any pet peeve now... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...atdrink008.gif

rsc 06-10-2013 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by gpcalero (Post 298567)
You can remove the DRL fuse from the fuse box in the engine compartment. I believe mine was #37. Once you remove this fuse, the lights only automatically come on when the light sensor detects dark conditions.

Gonna take a look at it when I get off work, thanks for the heads up!

vinny 06-10-2013 10:57 PM

TPMS oh how i loathe thee
sunroof drains
the 06 t-rex arm window switches

Nmocean 06-13-2013 07:48 PM

The I 5 motor wish it had more power. I'm like everybody else wish they still made them they are a heck of a vehicle.

skeeter 06-13-2013 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nmocean (Post 298674)
The I 5 motor wish it had more power. I'm like everybody else wish they still made them they are a heck of a vehicle.

totally agree with everything. the power of the I-5. I find myself always wanting to drive the Alpha all the time.

staggs 06-13-2013 08:47 PM

thought of another one,

all the pillar, mirror, handle, hood vent, etc plastic fading. I'm tired of using back to black every two weeks to prevent it from being bleached grey. I should not have to paint everything black.

stevek813 06-14-2013 07:40 AM

The only pet peeve that I have about my '08 H3x Alpha is that it doesn't have Bluetooth. It seems absolutely ridiculous to me that GM didn't include Bluetooth as a standard feature on a vehicle at the original price point of Hummers. This is especially true since the H3x Alpha was the top-of-the-line H3 in terms of both performance and comfort features.

How much could GM have saved on not including it?

TDavis 06-15-2013 01:37 PM

Drove me nuts not having blue tooth myself and especially hands free phone. My solution was the CoStar BlueStar conversion that replaces the OnStar module. About a 4" install and it works flawlessly with the OnStar buttons. No more OnStar, but never used it once anyway.

Rajul_Al_Hummer 06-18-2013 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Kevwood (Post 298546)
I've been hearing more & more comments like this lately on the forums - is it really that bad State side? Here no one cares whatsoever, the H3 is/was quite a popular mid-sized SUV, I've never had anyone say anything but compliments regarding mine.

I guess when I move back to Canada one day and bring my H3 with me I'll start hearing the same smack as you guys.

I bought my H3 when I lived in the UAE and loved it so much that when I returned to the UK I had it shipped back (thought about driving it, but few problems on whichever route I took home, either Syria or Libya). I still love it as much as the day I bought it but I do miss the desert in the UAE - its very difficult to off-road it in the UK.

I expected some abuse in the UK but none so far. I think they are so rare in the UK (less than 90 H3s) that people just appreciate seeing something different.

As to pet peeves with it...lack of aux input for video (which would make adding a reversing camera easy)

Aussie H3 06-18-2013 10:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sneakypigeons (Post 298542)

Don't seem to get any of this in Australia, as a matter of fact the H3 is probably one of the smaller and more economical SUV's out here.

Not sure why it is anyone else's concern what you drive anyway:confused:

Just fitted a 750hp 500 Cube Big Block V8 into my Aussie build Ford Falcon, so fuel economy and environmental impact is not really my biggest concern.

Attachment 12702

Here it is behind my H3:

Attachment 12703

sneakypigeons 06-19-2013 09:07 AM

great ride Aussie!

Spuds 06-19-2013 04:01 PM

The horn!

stevek813 06-21-2013 07:43 AM

Okay, I took my Alpha out last night and I have to agree that the single most annoying thing on the H3 is that stupid seat warmer switch. I have to turn it off or check it every time I go for a ride or risk a terminal case of Swamp A**.

Horrible design.

Ghost Rider 06-22-2013 10:33 PM

I agree with a lot of the pet peeves on here. Here are mine:

1. Rear seats do not lay flat.
2. The fact they do not make them any more. (REALLY stupid!!)
3. The fact that you can't fit your hands to pick up lost things between the console and the seats.
4. No problem with seat heater switch turning on by accident (I have an 06) but it is hard to press the button to select high or low.

But honestly, even with these pet peeves, this is still the best vehicle I've ever owned and I've had and still have some other great cars.

chrome_eater 07-03-2013 04:43 AM

Ha ha - everyone has the same complaints I do. I love my H3 alpha, best off-road vehicle I have ever owned or driven.

My complaints:
Rear seats do not lay flat.
Front seat back mesh pocks come off if you bump them a tiny bit
Lost things between the console and the seats.
Seat heater switch gets bumped on (fixed by removing seat heater fuse in spring and replacing it when it gets cold)
Transmission a little clunky - could use a 5 speed trans.
Needs more interior storage space - more removable panels like the one in the rear cargo area.
Needs to be 2 inches wider and longer - would have made back seat passengers much more comfortable and the rear seats could have folded flat.

Having said all that - still would not give it up for anything else out there. To me it is the best combo of off road ability + good daily driver comfort + not too huge so you can get it through tight spots + nice turning radius.

Never had a hater comment or anyone flip me the bird, but I live in the upper midwest and there are tons of 4x4 and large trucks out here. Where I live we measure the snowfall in the winter in feet not inches, having a heavy 4wd vehicle is normal and nobody thinks anything is wrong with having a H3, in fact they are like why not a H2 or H1?

White Wolf 07-03-2013 11:59 AM

My biggie is the rear swing out tail-gate. I swear at it every time I go to the lumber yard. I sure wish the window could open when I need to haul some long 2x4's.