PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What shocks and steering damper are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Default What shocks and steering damper are you running?

Just about to replace shocks and steering dampener. What are you guys running and opinions? The deuce does see some offroad but mostly just to get me to my fishing spots. Looking for the best comfort ride.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:18 AM

I'm running modified king shocks. I doubt you want that kind of sticker shock.

As for the damper, I'm running a Rancho. As much as I dislike the company, it works. When it fails, I'll either get another or the stock GM damper. Bilstein makes a "damper" as well, but it's really just a shock & functions as one. I had sever pulling due to it. Swapped it for the Rancho & it went away. I called Bilstein about this issue & asked why does their damper function as a shock & they explained that it's pressurized like one, but couldn't give a fundamental reason why they do this vs how GM, Rancho & basically everyone else on earth makes one, outside of FOX, King etc (who get a pass b/c all they do is make shocks).

Old 04-02-2016, 09:32 AM

I have Bilstein steering damper and will be changing to oem damper soon as i'm having severe right side pull like SK.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:17 AM

I read lot of complains about Bilstein damper pulling to the right .
Not in mine case.

I'm running Bilstein all around and its been great .

Old 04-03-2016, 08:05 AM

it was good for 6 months when i first installed it then my truck start pulling to the right.

just ordered it with 2 day shipping.

Amazon.com: ACDelco 509-25 GM Original Equipment Steering Linkage Shock Absorber: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 509-25 GM Original Equipment Steering Linkage Shock Absorber: Automotive

Last edited by citiboy; 04-03-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:56 AM

Mine started from the second I installed it.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:41 AM

Well thanks guys, exactly what i was looking for. I too, was going to go bilstein all the way around. Glad i asked. Did the h2 come from the factory with bilstein shocks? My avalanche had them but these ones are so covered in undercoating. I cant tell what they are.

Thanks for the link citiboy.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:29 AM

Nope. The original H2 shocks aren't made anymore. They are made, but internal bump stops aren't put in there. That's the only difference.

Here's a list of the GM shocks for the H2: Link
I don't know the difference between either front shock.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:44 PM

I'm very pleased with my rancho. I felt a good change after installing this damper. With my adjustable rancho shocks, I can adjust the ride firmness. They perform great when I'm off the road.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:33 AM

I have read good reviews on that dampener. A 4x4 shop once told me that rancho makes the dampener for napa. I bought one for my cj ( which was outright scary to drive) and it was night and day. Good reviews on the rancho shocks as well and i like the adjustabilty for that price point. Just not big on their appearance with the red shock boots etc.

Really leaning towards the bilsteins for the shocks. Just trying to determine what the difference is between the 4600 and 5100 series.

Quick Reply: What shocks and steering damper are you running?