PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What octane fuel results in best economy/power in these trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 85_305
Well like I've said 5 times already, my '06 Pacifica gets MUCH better mileage between 87 and 93. Take it or leave it. I just put '89 into my tank yesterday and we'll see what the diff is between 87 and 89 in a few weeks I think.
Wife has one...... read themanual, it calls for 89, so its PCM is set to burn that, go to 93 and you're pissin away $.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Thought this thread, in the H3 section, in the HFs, was about "what octain for these trucks?"

In spite of what other vehicles, sake suckers, bikes and planes, may or may not do, a stock H3 is set to burn 87. Story over, boost octane, and you are just spending more $$, nothin ealse. Get your PCM tuned for a higher octane, then and only then can you take advantage of using higher than 87 in these truck.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Wife has one...... read themanual, it calls for 89, so its PCM is set to burn that, go to 93 and you're pissin away $.
'

Ya I was doing some reasearch a few weeks ago and I found that out (that it was requiring 89). Ah well. I cant believe we wasted as much fuel as we did by not running 89 all this time.

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Thought this thread, in the H3 section, in the HFs, was about "what octain for these trucks?"

In spite of what other vehicles, sake suckers, bikes and planes, may or may not do, a stock H3 is set to burn 87. Story over, boost octane, and you are just spending more $$, nothin ealse. Get your PCM tuned for a higher octane, then and only then can you take advantage of using higher than 87 in these truck.
So would more power/mileage be had by purchasing a 93 tune?

Old 05-13-2010, 04:17 PM

The price of premium VS regular is what, 6% on average?

If you get get a PCM tune that gave your truck better than a 6% mileage increase... you might be able to offset the cost of the PCM tune over maybe 3 years of driving? I don't know if it would be worth it... seems like splitting hairs.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Banned

Ya I see your point of view. To me things like that are worth it. You get better shifting, better performance, and better mileage. It's a mod in my book. Now if it were say $500 for 1-2mpg, screw that. But at the going price of these pcm's or whatever it's not too bad.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:26 PM

Has anybody done a tuned chip for higher octane?

I am still waiting to see how the PCM tune does against the baseline dyno Broken did before I make any decisions about it for my truck.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned

I'm not so much worried about power.. this truck has enough to do everything I need it to. But I would LOVE to pick up some mileage hehe

Old 05-13-2010, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by 85_305
I'm not so much worried about power.. this truck has enough to do everything I need it to. But I would LOVE to pick up some mileage hehe
You should pickup a Scanguage, a lot of people I know have bought them and it displays a heads up real time view of your MPG (and pretty much everything else you could ever need... actually I used one with my H3T recently because the alternator died and it has no voltage meter, I was not sure if I could get the truck home so one of the guys lent me his scangauge so I could stay on top of the voltage)

From what I have heard once you start to see it in real time it can help train you to drive smoother and more efficiently. It isn't uncommon for people to get 30% better mileage just by changing their driving habits, a scanguage can be a very useful tool to help you do that.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:00 AM

Another thing to consider is the detergent additive package added by the various brands of fuel. When our Gov. started regulating it, many brands cut back to the regulated minimum since the federal standards basically eliminated the marketing differentiation between brands.

GM, BMW and some other vehicle brands recommend "Top Tier" gas. Here's the list of approved fuel brands from GM's site that only sell Top Tier fuel:

"8. Use the correct fuel grade.
Use the fuel grade recommended by your vehicle manufacturer. In addition, TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is even better for your vehicle. It is a class of gasoline with enhanced detergency, that exceed detergent requirements imposed by the EPA. It meets voluntary deposit control standards developed by four automotive companies, including General Motors. TOP TIER gasoline retailers include:
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
QuikTrip
Shell
Texaco
Chevron-Canada
Shell-Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Turkey Hill
Mileage (Severson Oil Co.)"

Link to GM's fuel efficiency guide: http://www.goodwrench.com/Tips/FuelEfficiency.jsp

Old 05-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
You should pickup a Scanguage, a lot of people I know have bought them and it displays a heads up real time view of your MPG (and pretty much everything else you could ever need... actually I used one with my H3T recently because the alternator died and it has no voltage meter, I was not sure if I could get the truck home so one of the guys lent me his scangauge so I could stay on top of the voltage)

From what I have heard once you start to see it in real time it can help train you to drive smoother and more efficiently. It isn't uncommon for people to get 30% better mileage just by changing their driving habits, a scanguage can be a very useful tool to help you do that.
Ya I've been considering a scan gauge. That way I know optimium acceleration rates, cruising mph, etc. Thanks for the input. What are they going for nowadays? 2-300$ still?

Originally Posted by NJTEX
Another thing to consider is the detergent additive package added by the various brands of fuel. When our Gov. started regulating it, many brands cut back to the regulated minimum since the federal standards basically eliminated the marketing differentiation between brands.

GM, BMW and some other vehicle brands recommend "Top Tier" gas. Here's the list of approved fuel brands from GM's site that only sell Top Tier fuel:

"8. Use the correct fuel grade.
Use the fuel grade recommended by your vehicle manufacturer. In addition, TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is even better for your vehicle. It is a class of gasoline with enhanced detergency, that exceed detergent requirements imposed by the EPA. It meets voluntary deposit control standards developed by four automotive companies, including General Motors. TOP TIER gasoline retailers include:
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
QuikTrip
Shell
Texaco
Chevron-Canada
Shell-Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Turkey Hill
Mileage (Severson Oil Co.)"

Link to GM's fuel efficiency guide: http://www.goodwrench.com/Tips/FuelEfficiency.jsp
Excellent info thanks man

Quick Reply: What octane fuel results in best economy/power in these trucks?