PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Weird front end sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Default RE: Weird front end sound

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

Considering how many wheels have fallen off the H2's, I wouldn't just accept it as let it go. Did you have any of the service guys acknowledge they heard the noise? Did any of them sit in the car while you drove it and hear it? You don't want to be one of those people on the news with the wheel laying next to their H2!
less than 30 have had wheels fall off, which isn't a statistically significant number.

once you get it home, take off the skid plate. have someone turn the steering wheel, with the engine running, and watch the pitman arm - where it's attached to the steering box. check for slop on the sector shaft/pitman arm connection. it could also be a hub assembly, i've had both replaced. the symptoms were a squeak, similar to a brake squeak, but it didn't go away when you stepped on the brakes. it was prevelant when going slow and driving next to a wall or high curb.

one thing you may want to do is take it to a reputable alignment shop. they can identify a problem, probably better than the dealer can. the alignment shop i use found one of my bad hub assemblies.

as for the noise, i'm still betting it's the skidplate.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:45 PM

He ran over something when those young girls where talking to him.
probably his wife [sm=joke.gif]

Old 10-06-2006, 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Sugardaddy

As usual, they found nothing wrong. MF'ers

That's BULL **** !!!! Did they not even look at the tires? Time to find a different dealer for repairs.Name:  mad_at_you.gif
Views: 56
Size:  8.5 KB

Old 10-06-2006, 11:41 PM

Agreed..Absolutely BULL**** Name:  mad_at_you.gif
Views: 41
Size:  8.5 KB

Old 10-07-2006, 12:03 PM

HG that's a good idea. Only problem is that I work so much I can never be at the dealer to see what they are doing. I am going to see is I can reproduce it and maybe on a weekend take it out to at least let the salesman hear it. Plus Chris"blackstangs" and I were talking about the crummy service departmwnt where we both got our rigs and that we were going to look into another dealer around here. It's funny how much the kiss my azz BEFORE I leased it , now I can't even get the service dept to call me back!!![:@]

Old 10-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Default RE: Strange front end sound

Several months ago I had a strange sound in my brand new Yukon XL---Similar to your description. Following four dealer visits (with no fix) I e-mailed the factory and results came rapid fire. Won't go into the details---GM dealers obviouslly HATE factory intervention. (Probably influences their factory rebates and incentive program).
My "cyber paper" to GM was the solution. Again the squeeky, popping, noisy wheel, gets the grease.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Sugardaddy

HG that's a good idea. Only problem is that I work so much I can never be at the dealer to see what they are doing. I am going to see is I can reproduce it and maybe on a weekend take it out to at least let the salesman hear it. Plus Chris"blackstangs" and I were talking about the crummy service departmwnt where we both got our rigs and that we were going to look into another dealer around here. It's funny how much the kiss my azz BEFORE I leased it , now I can't even get the service dept to call me back!!![:@]
So both of you bought your H2's from the same Dealer? That's just great. Maybe you can tell them how you will make sure that since you are a member of the largest Hummer Forum in the world, that you will make sure nobody ever makes the mistake of going to that dealer again.

Several months ago I had a strange sound in my brand new Yukon XL---Similar to your description. Following four dealer visits (with no fix) I e-mailed the factory and results came rapid fire. Won't go into the details---GM dealers obviouslly HATE factory intervention. (Probably influences their factory rebates and incentive program).
My "cyber paper" to GM was the solution. Again the squeeky, popping, noisy wheel, gets the grease.
Isn't the H2 built on the Yukon Chasis? Maybe you should PM SugerDaddy and let him know what you did. Hopefully you can help him out to get some results.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:52 PM

Its real obvoious that all Hummer dealers are not created equal! I live in Connecticut and there are 3 dealers here. Two of them were giving me a run around on final price and trade in. The numbers were different when I went in to buy from one of them. I was so pissed off when I left two of them that I almost didn't buy one. The only reputable dealer here in my opinionn is Karl Hummer. They were great and gave me a great deal on a nice rig. Go to another reputable repair shop. Sonds like they are jerking you around.