PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weekend plasti dip project. Black Rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Default Weekend plasti dip project. Black Rims

Took my time to paint the rims the right way. Took the wheels off, deep cleaned and then taped off the rims. Used about 4 cans of black plasti dip, plus 2 cans of glossifier. Holding up good so far, withheld the pressure of a car wash pressure washer. Let me know what yall think.

Attached Thumbnails Weekend plasti dip project. Black Rims-image.jpg   Weekend plasti dip project. Black Rims-image-2-.jpg   Weekend plasti dip project. Black Rims-image-5-.jpg   Weekend plasti dip project. Black Rims-image-6-.jpg  
Old 11-05-2014, 03:34 PM

Looks Great .. Much better than the silver ..
If I would get another H2 . it would be black to blacked out all the way ..

Last edited by H2Miami; 11-05-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:24 PM

much better !

Old 11-06-2014, 02:26 AM

Looks good, I did the same without the glossifier and they faded to hell from the AZ sun. Ended up ripping the stuff off and using rattle can on them.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
Looks good, I did the same without the glossifier and they faded to hell from the AZ sun. Ended up ripping the stuff off and using rattle can on them.
I read the glossifier also protects against UV ... May help to last longer

Old 11-07-2014, 06:42 PM

Looks nice . I plan on doing the same thing or go with engine enamel ...

Old 11-08-2014, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
I read the glossifier also protects against UV ... May help to last longer

I would imagine so as well but they didn't last through the first carwash, peeled on all the edges then water ran down between the wheel and the plasti causing even more bubbling.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I would imagine so as well but they didn't last through the first carwash, peeled on all the edges then water ran down between the wheel and the plasti causing even more bubbling.
Question where did you get your cans and how many coats did you use ??? I had use the home depot cans on a few of my friends cars with bad results but the dipyourcar cans worked really nice with 5 coats on each wheel and they last a long time .... By the way im not trying to sell anything im just saying what jas worked for me in the past .anyways engine enamel seems to be the way to go if you want to keep the black color forever.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by hmer
Question where did you get your cans and how many coats did you use ??? I had use the home depot cans on a few of my friends cars with bad results but the dipyourcar cans worked really nice with 5 coats on each wheel and they last a long time .... By the way im not trying to sell anything im just saying what jas worked for me in the past .anyways engine enamel seems to be the way to go if you want to keep the black color forever.

I think I had bought a few cans from Checker and a few from Lowes as the auto part stores never seemed to have a lot in stock. I never thought of it as a permanent solution. I simply wanted to see how the stock wheels would look matte black and it served that purpose. Once I decided I liked the color I pulled it off and sprayed them. Of course since then I've gone aftermarket and sold the stockers.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:20 AM

i bought both black and glossifier from advance auto parts, 5 coats each wheel same as hmer, but never used the glossifier yet. still holding well. i did have to spray the backs of my mirrors again, hitting bugs at 60mph take a toll lol.

Quick Reply: Weekend plasti dip project. Black Rims