PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water leak in hood/louver

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Default Water leak in hood/louver

I opened the hood the other day after it stopped raining and it looked wet underneath but I couldn't tell if the source was where the hood louver clips are or not. It looked like some water was dripping out of the seam where the two layers of metal are sealed together. Is there something I should use to seal either where the louver clips are or those seams underneath the hood? Not sure if they're supposed to be able to breathe to keep water from getting trapped in there and rusting the hood. I can take a pic tomorrow and post it if that helps. Thanks!

Ben

Old 02-08-2014, 10:44 AM

I had a similar issue and I sealed all the seams with silicone and port holes with a gasket material (trimmed and cut) and silicone. No issues since and no trapped water inside the layers.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:47 AM

if you put any sealer under you may create a storage place.! its hard to remember when water didn't freeze outside but my faint recollection is that water laid there in front of the black grill. I wondered where it went. it might be that the holes are there to drain it. ill check that out in about 3 months and report back, later.

ive done construction work/repairs where people sealed under a wood support and the moisture stored there rotted everything away. once we caught it in time to save a big porch from coming down.