Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   water leak but sunroof drains are not clogged (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/water-leak-but-sunroof-drains-not-clogged-20269/)

racin 08-08-2010 02:27 PM

water leak but sunroof drains are not clogged

When it rains there's water leaking from the roof down unto the drivers side hand bar and from my onstar mic right above my head ( driving a hummer with a rain coat is not fun lol)...anyways, first thing I did open the sunroof completely and poured water in slightly to see if my drains was clogged they was not clogged a few small branches from trees which I removed and I also stuck bendable wire down the drains holes and they are ok...now I decided to pour a little more water and bam! the leak started coming from my onstar mic and drivers side hand bar, I removed the hand bar and it wasn't from the drain...this have me puzzled makes me to believe that if it leaks when the sunroof is fully open and by me pouring water to test it and also leaks when the roof is closed then water must be coming in from another location and if from another location how does it get to the onstar mic? ....need help please it's hurricane season in Florida and this isn't looking good. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

racin 08-08-2010 02:29 PM

it's a 2004 h2

bosch 08-08-2010 04:32 PM

you will have to pull the head liner down to see where the water is coming in from ,or do the water test again but put water just on the upper front widow seam
make sure you dont get water all over .then do the sunroof . your water drain line may have come off o rthe seal on the window is leaking ,sealat base of the front marker lights

HumminNBoatin 08-08-2010 08:16 PM

Its comming in from your roof marker lights. Remove them put some rtv silicone on them and replace them. wait a coupld hours and do you test again....... problem will be solved

racin 08-09-2010 01:00 AM

I understand what you guys are saying and thanks...but I didn't pour water on the lights I poured it when the sunroof was completely open and it looks like...if I stand on my seat with my head out the sunroof like 4inches on the left before you get to the drain hole on the left I think it goes through the rails that the sunroof slides on because it happens when I pour a little water right there...now when the sunroof is closed it also happens when it rains...I will try pouring water on the lights when the roof is closed and try to pry the headliner down and take a look as you guys say....BUT what still puzzles me is if I seal the lights that still would stop water if say for example I'm on rough terrain or going up a slope and water gets on the rail where I initially poured te water on and it came in via onstar mike and hand bar...am I making sense?

bosch 08-09-2010 04:52 AM

water leak

the only thing you can do is drop the linner down to see were its coming from ,,if your right it could be the seal that the sun roof sits on , maybe a bolt came loose ? if you took it to a dealer thats what they whould have to do , when the linner is down and you can see the water coming it maybe you can seal it from the bottom side ,mike

racin 08-09-2010 09:00 AM

your right mike...and I just wanted to correct myself here even tho the drains are dripping water it IS the drain...upon more trial I again poured water again on the rails it leak and n by the drain holes it leaked didn't last time so headliner is being carefully removed just on the end to see if it's a clamp not tighten...and also I took off the corner orange lamp n poured lil water and no way for water to enter the h2 like that because even with the light off it drain outside along the hard plastic liner into door jam to the street....will keep y'all posted

racin 08-10-2010 09:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
CONCLUSION:
In the start where I open the sunroof and poured water on the rails that was a mistake its only natural pouring it on the rails will cause the water to drain to the left over the onstar mic and down the corner on the hand bar..the rails are slightly raise and water should really in no way ever get in on them is the roof is closed(my mistake..unless your drains are really clogged and there is build up in that area), which lead me to thinking even thought the sunroof drain wasn't clogged that it has to be somewhat clogged or has a hole where it connects to sunroof roof leading it to drip by hand bar while its raining(wrong again)...after removing hand bar, visor, rubber seal around door and sunroof I pried the the headliner down only to figure out it from the corner orange light that sits right above drivers head(as seen in my pics below)..a simple grommet need changing or sealing, thats it. thanks for all the help.
Attachment 17055
Attachment 17056

olfart 08-10-2010 10:41 AM

Driver's corner marker light is probably the most common place for a leak and is the first place you should check with any type of overhead leak as well as water ending up on the drivers side floor. I believe the grommet works loose over time from the vibrations of closing (slamming) the driver side door. Pull the grommet up and apply a good coating of Adhesive grade RTV and reseat the grommet in the hole.
________
Mexicocity hotel

bosch 08-10-2010 03:37 PM

glad you found it and thanks for the pics of the repair ,i would also rtv the marker
light just to be sure ...mike

No more Jeeps 08-13-2010 06:18 AM

Okay I have sealed both of my front marker lights and grommet with no luck. Still dripping one drop on driver dash and several on pass side dash and around grab bar. Only happens after severe down pours. NOT water hose. How hard is it to drop head liner?

racin 08-13-2010 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by No more Jeeps (Post 229653)
Okay I have sealed both of my front marker lights and grommet with no luck. Still dripping one drop on driver dash and several on pass side dash and around grab bar. Only happens after severe down pours. NOT water hose. How hard is it to drop head liner?

When removing the headliner all you need to be is very careful, the hummer headliner is stronger than your average headliner so jus remove your hand bars your front door rubber seal(half way down) and seal around sunroof(on the inside) and when it comes to removing your visors be extra careful(I broke mines the first time) research how to on this site or google...good luck

bosch 08-13-2010 07:19 PM

water leak

if you sealed both lights , and water is leaking in on both sides i bet that your leak is in the front winshield at the top , mike

DPHUMV 11-02-2010 12:22 AM

Hello,

My 2007 h2 sut is now having that same problem! the corner light has been leaking for awhile now and now i just noticed that i have a lot of water coming in right at the center around the creases of the overhead lamps(interior)..like right in front of the rear view! wat the f...any ideas before i rip this thing apart?

thanks

No more Jeeps 11-02-2010 02:28 PM

I took off the the roof rack. The screws that hold it on have no RTV. You could see where water was leaking in. I would also check the three marker lights and rtv them and the corner lights. My sunroof drains were clean. Sad part it still leaks a little bit with heavy down pours. Oh well.

TWISTED SIGNS BY DESIGN 08-07-2011 07:19 PM

the most common water leaks on the h2 is fron the plug under the outside marker lights,all 4..also remember that there is also a star screws inside the roof rack,make sure you put silcone on the screws before you put them back in and also there is a small o-ring that also goes on the star screws,all h2 hummers have these..as far as the gasket goes on the outside markers,it is just there to keep them from rattling..has nothing to do with the gasket..the center light gaskets will go out from time to time and it is best that you replace with the much thicker ones,a set of 6 will cost you 45.00 on ebay..BOBCAT

TWISTED SIGNS BY DESIGN 08-07-2011 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by dphumv (Post 235883)
hello,

my 2007 h2 sut is now having that same problem! The corner light has been leaking for awhile now and now i just noticed that i have a lot of water coming in right at the center around the creases of the overhead lamps(interior)..like right in front of the rear view! Wat the f...any ideas before i rip this thing apart?

Thanks

the most common cause of the leak you have is from the corner lights,not the light gasket on the corner,it is coming from up under the light,there is a black plug there and if you take the light off you will see it.pull the plug out and clean it then silcone it,also put silcone on top of the plugs where the wires go into it,now ckeck the star screw located in the same area,pull it out and silcone it and put the small o-ring that is supposed to go with it.check your center lights,if gasket is old they need to be replaced.

HigherUp 08-17-2013 03:44 PM

This was my fix! I wish I had found this one first in my quest. I was convinced it was the Sun Roof and nope this was it. Thanks for the great post

theboss 12-03-2013 09:06 AM

I'm having the same issue I check the roof lights added silicone n I still get it but I get the warter coming tru the floor is not so much the sunroof

yoymon 12-07-2013 02:32 PM

I pulled that grommet up cleaned it and the metal there then put a beed of rtv around hole before ushing grommet back in, sealed mine up great, did both side and stopped all water leaking on mine, also a bit of rtv where wires come through the center of the rubber grmmet

GroceryGettinH2 01-09-2014 11:59 AM

Did this a week or so ago, and so far so good. Mine was leaking in the front corners right above the driver and passenger grab bars.

I cleaned it out good, put some silicone down, put the plugs back in and then siliconed on top of them again for good measure.

Rags747 01-10-2014 11:30 AM

Pretty funny how this has affected so many people, obviously not the greatest design. Just picked up my 06 Fusion Orange two wks ago. 1st it would not fit in my garage due to height so it sat outside a few days. Then realized we were getting a snowstorm so really wanted it inside so I took the roof rails off and that gave me just enough clearance.

Anyway, 1st day it rained and I had water coming down the passenger side grab handle onto the floor obviously. Its now in the garage and I have popped off the corner lights, have bought the Black RTV and plan to do this wknd. Really hope that solves the issue. This star screw under the light, is it readily accessible ?

yoymon 01-10-2014 03:51 PM

I didn't do anything with the screw but also look at the path the water takes to drain and make sure its clear of dirt etc, mine had a lot of grime and pine needles, that track that water takes from drivers to passengers side and then down by the weather strip where it drains, mine was wet behind grab bar as well and all the way down under sill plates where you step into truck, I pop sill plates off from time to time just to verify no leaks, this is after I cleaned and silicone both corner light grommets

Liv Allmon 02-06-2014 11:24 AM

My husband and I both had H2's. I had a 2004 that I just sold a couple months ago because of this same problem. It rusted out the floor runners. It was so bad there was no point fixing it, also it started having electrical issues due to this. So we sold it. :( I was so sad. A car audio friend of mine did figure out the problem just before I sold it but it had already been leaking for 3+ years and the body work was too extensive to me to bother with it. He sealed the lights on top with silicone bathroom caulking and I ALSO had to replace the weather stripping on all the doors. (Mainly the two front doors!) My husbands Limited Edition Hummer H2 is now starting to leak so I want to get it fixed before its too far gone like our other one was. Best of Luck, I hope this helps.

Rags747 02-06-2014 08:49 PM

I just did this fix on the two roof exterior lights this past wknd. Black permetex in both lights where the wires come up through the little rubber cup. She's in the garage now so have not tested it yet but am really hoping that this does the trick. Should have her on the road within the next month. Just picked up an 06 Fusion Orange. Pics hopefully within the month with her new shoes on her.

Man1nboat 02-07-2014 02:17 PM

I ultimately replaced the light assemble with a dealer part (~$110) in 15 minutes and was over it... Wish I had done this from the start.

Rags747 02-07-2014 08:38 PM

As I said earlier I just did this corner light fix as well with Black Permetex under the rubber cup and on top where the wires go through. The fix has not been tested yet. Here is my observation. These plugs sit kind of high above where the water seems to drain. How would water get that high to actually get in that little rubber boot? Doesn't the water run under that boot? What am I missing here.

Man1nboat 02-08-2014 09:58 AM

@Rags... Here's what I believe: There are a few possible culprits i.e. the seal under the dome assembly and/or the rubber plug shrunk, were damaged (especially the front dome clip) or hardened. In my case, I believe both which resulted in the water entering the cavity at speed and forcing its way through the rubber plug.

Nate2106 02-08-2014 04:51 PM

When I bought my H2 the first week I took out the stock radio and replaced it with a nice 7in touch screen Nav unit. It rained the next day, I opened my door in horror to find my floor completely soaked, and my new head unit completely destroyed :mad: . SO, I found this forum and thankfully fixed the roof lights with alot of silicone :D never had the problem again

Rags747 02-09-2014 01:57 PM

Thx everyone...I look forward to the results.

fx4x4 02-10-2014 08:41 PM

Hi Have read this post BUT...... I wanted to put it out there that many H2s were outfitted with a sunroof made by Webasto... there is a recall on the sunroof in fact leaks and wind noise are symptoms...Not only is the recall replacing the glass but they are putting in a new headliner due to the damage caused by leaks..... Sunroof Recall - Webasto Hollandia - SunroofCheck.com

Chicago1981 04-16-2015 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by racin (Post 229270)
When it rains there's water leaking from the roof down unto the drivers side hand bar and from my onstar mic right above my head ( driving a hummer with a rain coat is not fun lol)...anyways, first thing I did open the sunroof completely and poured water in slightly to see if my drains was clogged they was not clogged a few small branches from trees which I removed and I also stuck bendable wire down the drains holes and they are ok...now I decided to pour a little more water and bam! the leak started coming from my onstar mic and drivers side hand bar, I removed the hand bar and it wasn't from the drain...this have me puzzled makes me to believe that if it leaks when the sunroof is fully open and by me pouring water to test it and also leaks when the roof is closed then water must be coming in from another location and if from another location how does it get to the onstar mic? ....need help please it's hurricane season in Florida and this isn't looking good. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Hello there i have the same problem with the water leak, i actually had to chance out my air bag module which cost me $1150.00, and i also put silicone on all my corner lamps, after the module was repaired two days later it rained and again water came inn, air bag mole is ok but im worried, how deep did you fill the corner lamp with rtv?

Morgpond 08-23-2015 08:29 AM

I had this problem also. I had to remove the two forward torn screws and seal them. One under the light cover and one in the track for the cross members. You can tell if they are leaking because they were rusted a bit. I will probably seal them all the way back. I'm not sure yet. I am guessing many are sealing the grommet for the wires only because it doesn't leak a lot after you do this. It only gets wet at the very top of the a pillars?
Good luck everyone.

GRILLSMASHER 08-24-2015 12:20 AM

Silicone them lights.

I used to have leakage that seeped in through the lighting housing and the mic holes also would drain to the sun visor plastic brackets etc.

If you are tearing your headliner down without putting silicone under each roof marker and corner light first Than ur doing too much. This is a common issue with H2-s . Popping the lights up applying silicone under neath them to stop water is the best way to start . Water leaks through them especially when the weather gets heavy.

Morgpond 08-24-2015 09:34 AM

Leak

Ok I still have issues after the screws and grommets were sealed. Do these leak where the wires go thru the grommet? Or do you cover the top?
Are the center markers just attached to the grommet and pushed in?
Mine wets the top of the A pillar just a little but will drip after a while but not a lot.
could this be leaking around the door weather stripping which seems tight?
If I need to how does the plastic windshield surround come out just yank it after removing the moulding?
Thanks again

portellidev 02-14-2017 05:50 AM

Or check the roof light it might be coming from the rubber seal of the light.

DEERMEAT 03-12-2017 10:41 AM

Water leaking from top grab handle

Hi everyone,
I just joined this forum because of the water leak after a good rain. The water was trickling down the passenger and driverside a-pillar and dripping down the grab handle in the front.
I resealed the wind shield, silicone the marker lights, sealed the front plugs were the wires came threw for the 2 bigger marker lights on the top, made sure the sun roof drains were perfect, which none of these were to blame for the water leak.
I still had puddles on my floor mats! I found that it still looked like the windshield, I removed he top windshield trim, sprayed it with foaming glass cleaner an on the inside hit it with an air hose.....no bubbles around windshield or any were else I could see. I then removed the top luggage racks, seal, and (plastic side rails for the second time ). First time I removed I sealed every torx head bolt that held them to the top of the roof.
Well here it is.......THE DAMN BODY SEAM UNDER THE FRONT END MARKER LIGHTS, THE SEAM SEALER CRACKED AND WAS LETTING WATER POUR IN WERE THEY GET TACK WELDED TOGETHER ABOVE THE WINDSHEILD WERE WINDSHEILD MEETS THE ROOF IN THE CORNERS!
Hummer should have added one more tack weld on the corner of the roof under the side rails. You need to clean the area really good, I used brakeclean an a scotchbright pad. Dug in there with a screw driver and then seam sealed the crap out of it.
I've been after this leak for 6 months, finally nailed it!!!!!!!!!

DEERMEAT 03-12-2017 10:46 AM

I have a 2007 H2, sorry forgot to add that

GroceryGettinH2 03-13-2017 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by DEERMEAT (Post 342971)
I have a 2007 H2, sorry forgot to add that

Damn. The 3 center marker lights stopped about 90% of my leaks. Maybe this is my remaining issue. How big of a job is this? We plan on keeping our h2 forever so better to fix this now.

DEERMEAT 03-15-2017 08:19 AM

Its not too bad. you need to completely remove crossbars, (need the key), remove the corner marker lights all 4, then the rubber upper gaskets for the doors, then both side rails which are held on by torx bolts. Then you'll see were the metal roof seam is on both sides. this is a good time to clean and reseal the plugs that the wires come threw the roof for the lights. I did lift the corners of the windshield gasket to really get the seam sealer all around in there. good luck and let me know how you made out.
If you don't fix it completely your door dills will rot away.