PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VHF Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Default VHF Radio Install

Hey folks..just got my new H3..very cool...quite an upgrade from my 92 Cherokee!

I need to install a small Kenwood VHF radio and a slightly larger Bearcat scanner somewhere. Has anyone done/seen a clean install of two-way radios in an H3?

Thanks for any advice you may have

Old 03-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Default RE: VHF Radio Install

Sorry... Not much help...
But I am a guy that last year traded in my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee for the H3. Best thing I've ever done!
Also took out my 2mtr/440mhz Kenwood and RS Scanner out of the Jeep and need to place it in my H3. There doesn't look like too many places to put them. I did go to Larsen "through glass" type antennas for both units. Easy to install and they work and look great.
Good Luck with the radios and H3. I'll be watching to see what people say.
By the way.... When you have them installed, take pictures and add them to your post!
TNX....

Old 03-25-2007, 09:39 PM

Sorry don't know nothing about that..but someone on here just might be able to help you out..good luck.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:44 PM

Hope you have a license! (Actaully, nobody ever checks but.... ) Most important thing is your antenna mount and getting them tuned just right. Beaware that any stuff you add on later....roof rack, bushguard...etc can all change the tuning. You can readjust them later. I personally like Sailor VHF equipment, not much of a cobra or uniden guy. And I've never even seen a Midland on a vessel before.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:22 PM

This might help. I used a flex mount for my Cobra CB. Mounted on the base of the seat. Works good and is not in the way.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1202/5D430BFD80CB40089817C0A39F882B82.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1202/1D345BE283F24C35844E9B8DE05ABAD1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-26-2007, 05:21 AM

I've seen a couple of folks that have mounted them on the dash.. They kinda seem in the way as far as looking out the window IMHO.. There's also a RAM laptop mount for the H3 that works very good for mounting a radio on.. It's not as "in your line of view" as putting it on the dash, but it still looks very in the way of either you or a passenger..

Depending on how think the radio and scanner are you might be able to make a thin storage bin above the front window and mount electronics in there.. It'll get into your visability some I'd imagine though.. If you don't have a sunroof an overhead center console would work pretty well...

Old 03-26-2007, 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: crank

Sorry... Not much help...
But I am a guy that last year traded in my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee for the H3. Best thing I've ever done!
Also took out my 2mtr/440mhz Kenwood and RS Scanner out of the Jeep and need to place it in my H3. There doesn't look like too many places to put them. I did go to Larsen "through glass" type antennas for both units. Easy to install and they work and look great.
Good Luck with the radios and H3. I'll be watching to see what people say.
By the way.... When you have them installed, take pictures and add them to your post!
TNX....
Thx Crank...I do use the Larsen thru glass antennas for both the VHF and the scanner..they say they are the least efficient type of antenna but they work well enough for me.

Is it possible to remove a glass-mount antenna and then reuse it? I seem to remember someone selling a "re-mount" kit. That would beat having to buy 2 new antennas

Old 03-26-2007, 09:37 PM

ORIGINAL: A CarMan

This might help. I used a flex mount for my Cobra CB. Mounted on the base of the seat. Works good and is not in the way.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1202/5D430BFD80CB40089817C0A39F882B82.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1202/1D345BE283F24C35844E9B8DE05ABAD1.jpg[/IMG]
Excellent idea using the flex mount for the mic. I have the same CB and need to install thatradio too. The under the seat solution is great for the Cobra, which has the display and controls in the mic head. Unfortunately, the VHF and scanner have their controls in the head unit. The heads have to be visable and accessible.
Thanks for mic idea

Old 03-27-2007, 12:35 PM

I know JDrew has his mounted on the passanger side of the center console. Doesn't look like it takes up any significant amount of room from the front passager so that may be an option for you as well.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:49 PM

Best place for a VHF install would be on the dash. Question though, why not just get an icom or some other portable unit? I regularly get from 4-5 miles with mine.

Quick Reply: VHF Radio Install