PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 engine option?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Default V8 engine option?

I have an '07 Hummer H3.From what I have readwith the '08 models, they are offering a V8 engine on the alpha model. I feel like a chump because that's what I wanted and didn't wait for it because the dealership told me it wasn't going to happen. The tiny 5cyl on my hummer isn't adequate for the boat upgrade we want to purchase *towing* and I would love a V8 option. My question is, is there going to be any way to upgrade the 5cyl to a V8, or is something like that mechanically or financially impossible? If I can't upgrade I'm probably going to ditch the '07 because it's just way too weak for our needs. I thought it would work at first but I think I talked myself down into owning one. All other things about the vehicle are great except the short term XM trial.....a year would have been better hehe.

Any responses would be most appreciated before I take a huge hit selling this beast with the heart of a mouse. Thanks in advance

Old 04-03-2007, 01:13 AM
Default RE: V8 engine option?

godfather,
The entire drivetrain and other parts would have to be swapped out which is not financially wise. You would take a bigger hit on that (but GM isn't going to sell you a V8, cast iron differential case or drivetrain separately) than just selling/trading it in. The specs. on the 3.7L, I5 were clear and you should have noted the HP & Torque ratings. The towing capacity was listed in the H3 brochure. Might as well sell yours now before it depreciates any more, take you lumps and wait for the 2008.
Note the following info on the H3 Alpha:
To support the torque output of the powerful V-8, the H3 Alpha’s front differential case is made of cast iron; other models feature an aluminum case. New engine mounts, higher torsion bar rates to support the increased mass, and specific shock valving also are unique to the V-8-powered model, ensuring it continues to deliver the unparalleled ride quality – both on- and off-road – that customers expect.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:45 AM

The horse power difference is 53. I'm sure an exhaust, cold air intake and chip would get you there, and save you lot's of money.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:21 PM

$$$$$$ post hummer 1. A supercharger kit or turbo kit from our sponors would easily make the I5 more potent than the v8. Plus what are you towing? I tow a 500 pound boat through the mountains twice a week with absolutely no problem

Old 04-03-2007, 04:05 PM

Yes I read all the info about the torque and the towing capacity. If you reread what I typed, I said I am now debating a boat upgrade that I hadn't considered before. Meaning, the boat I have currently is only about 2200lbs, but the new one would be 4500ish. The H3 5cyl can barely tow my 2200lb boat up a slight hill, and the difference between it and the Durango V8 5.9L I used to have is extremely noticible. They wouldn't let me test drive the H3 while towing so I could feel it, and I didn't think it would really be THAT gutless. Yes I'm a victim of talking myself into something that wasn't good enough for my needs. I love the vehicle in all other aspects: looks, comfort, ability off-road, size. But in towing it's just gutless. I asked the question to get an idea of if I should sell and take a huge hit, or if there would be another option to keep it and replace the engine: I don't know much about mechanical workings of automobiles.

In regards to the exhaust, chip, intake etc: the mechanic told me it really doesn't help that much. But if I pusued this option, what would be the best bang for the buck, in regards to towing power? Like, where to start, and could I do it myself?

Old 04-03-2007, 04:12 PM

I missed a 0.....I tow 5000 lb boat with no problems.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:21 PM

Gutless? Something wrong then cause I tow my 22' gambler through the mountains and have no problem maintaining 60-65mph. On flatter highway I set cruise at 75 and just keep it in third...again never had a problem. I also have an 06 which has less HP than your 07. If your mechanic says that a pcm tune, exhaust and intake don't really do anything....your mechanic is an absolute idiot and should learn the modern gasoline engineIntake,exhaust,and pcm tune would easily put you in the ballpark of a small v8 when it comes to HP and torque. Or spend $4000 and get teh turbo kit or supercharger...you'll be close to 350 hp.

BTW....please don't come onto a hummer forum and call our motors "wimpy" and "gutless"...if you were expecting a freeking 5cylinder to be comparable to a 5.9 v8...well then you are "dillusional" and "nuts". If your 07 can't tow a 2000 lb boat then bring it back cause they forgot to plug in two or three plug wires.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:31 PM

Old 04-03-2007, 04:45 PM

Wow such angst. I believe I can say whatever I want about the Hummer, seeing as how I own one and it's relavent to my post, and I'm not attacking anyone....no need to get all butthurt. I may be wrong,but I've read too many forums to think you aren't always on the defensive about yourvehicle choice. Reading comprehension is good: I never said I thought it should compare to a V8 importkiller, I said the difference was more extreme that I had expected.

I'm not looking to start a riot here, just find out what I can do to improve the engine. It IS wimpy, and I DID buy it knowing it wasn't a V8. My point is that it still shocks me just HOW wimpy it is...as they won't let you test it fully before buying: ie with a boat behind it hehe. I also don't know anything about engine mods, but yes the mechanics at the dealership here ARE idiots.

This supercharger or turbo kit.....would they replace the other options listed? ie: the exhaust/pcm etc? Which is better? Can someone who is handy but has no experience in engines install it himself? Is the $4000 price just for parts, or does that include install somewhere? Would these upgrades void any warrantys? Is this something that can run full bore like a regular engine for hours? Is a turbo kit going to help with towing, or just speed?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to your anger, but also your help

Old 04-03-2007, 05:37 PM

godfather: asa drag racer i can tell you that the 5Cyl has a near dead flat torque curve with is awsome it will just pull and pull how ever if you want more power the start at the Back of the truck with the exhust ( headers and a Cat back)as an engine is just a "big air pump" so the more air out the more air in! Then do the PCM and forced indution. Doing the inductinand not the exhust is like farting through a straw. It`ll work but not that well.A turbo haslag (it runs off the exhust) where the super charger is instant (crank driven) both will work.

Do your self a favorand have a mechanic do the install it will be cheaper in the long runand then you will have warrantie ifscews up

220hp will pull my 3000lb car and 1000lb trailer with no prpblem with a load of tools and 3 people.

How are you driving it when your towing are you leaving it in O drive or are you using the grears?

Quick Reply: V8 engine option?