PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Upcompression DVD follow up

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Default Upcompression DVD follow up

So I went out and bought the LG DN798? Reviews put this model up there with the more expensive Denon and Sony upcompression dvd players. Plus Circuit City had it listed on the web site for $80 versus the in-store amount of ~$110.

So I take it home and hook it up vid HDMI to DVI. It would flash the picture for a quick minute then never return unless I unhooked the cables and rehooked them up. Tried different sets of cables to the same result. The manual says that this device may not work with all DVI connections. Wish it said it on the box

Got frustrated and decided to go in via component. Works fine. The only down side to the component hook up is that you can only upscale non-copy protected movies. I'd I have about 1000 movies and only ~200 of them are protected, so it works out ok for my case, although I'm sure its just a matter of time some one finds a hack. The picture quality on newer movies (i.e. Transformers, Spiderman 3, etc) is astonishing. I even tried out Jurasic Park and event horizon, it indeed is a great improvement over standard definition, and it also resizes the movie to fill the entire screnn (i.e. removes letter box formatting in most movies unless specified via dvd player menu).

I'm please with my purchase and just wanted to report back to those here that had given me their inputs. Well worth the upgrade for ~$100.

The new question is. How much picture quality am I losing by not going DVI. Is it a big difference? Like I said it would flash for a quick second and it looked good. Its just now bothering me if I'm seeing it in its full glory.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks