PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UNVEILING OF THE ROCK SLIDERS

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Default UNVEILING OF THE ROCK SLIDERS

OK GUYS !! Passenger side slider is DONE! Driver's side is all cut out and ready to be put together. Took a day and a half to make the one side but half the day was cutting out the huge dent that was hidden under the plastic sliders..oops.. plastic, what were they thinking...

So we started with 1/4 thick steel strips of 3", 2" and 1" thick. We removed the rear tire and cut a square out of the sheet metal. This was done so we could slide a 1/4" thich nut plate in that goes the length of the body. The sheet metal you see is decoration at best. There is a square sheet metal box frame under that but there is a 1/2" gap between them so plenty of room to slide in the 1/4" bar and nuts welded to it. I drilled out the clip holes that hold on the plastic cover on so it would be easier to get the bolts through to the nut plate. I admit I'm not perfect so I left plenty of room. We put some bolts inand pulled the nut plate firmly again the inside then drilled3 little holes and just tacked the nut plate in place so it would not fall into the void if we should remove the slider for maintenance.

On the outside the 2 inch is right under the door covering that area that is exposed. To that we followed the body line with 3" which fits perfectly up to the lip on the bottom where they sandwiched an pinch welded the cab together. On the 3" we welded the 1" and that runs right along that pinch welded metal. To secure we then put 7 bolts through the 2" to the nut plate and 5 bolts through the 1" on the bottom to large washer on the under side of the truck through the pinch welded steel.

To give the slider a tubular slider look and to give it more strength we bent a slide tube similar to the cheaper looking onesyou can buy that isbolted under the truck that goes to the frame. That is welded to the 2" and stick out 4" from the outer edge of the tub to the plate bolted to the truck. We went from the very back where the plastic was all the way to the front behind the mud flap. We had to add about a 1" block in the front andmodifiy the 2" plate so it would go over the plastic front fender. It has a little kick that sticks out and we wanted to cover that.We then stuck some 1.5" platewe cut and attached that to the 3" on the bottom to give it some strength. Then the tube was welded and it is strong as hell!

I just welding the access hole best we could, grinding it down and welded a beefy 1/4" diamond plate cover over the panel.

We jumped on it and watching it it does not budge.

I took alot of step by step pics if anyone wants them email me directly !

I am happy GIRL !

Old 05-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Default RE: UNVEILING OF THE ROCK SLIDERS

Looks nice, very nice.....but Damn ! !

I have to re-read this and study those pics again........To fully understand what was accomplished.

Seen your videos......You need to up-armor for sure......and that is meant as a compliment darlin'......

Old 05-04-2008, 10:17 PM

Looks nice, I THINK I understood all of that; after reading it twice. lol

Nice job, looks good!

Old 05-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Looks good. After reading that several people had installed the Rocky Road sliders on their Alphas I ordered a set and they should be here Monday. First set I tried to but wouldn't bolt up so I guess they were slightly bent. Great job tinked.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:19 AM

Let us know how they hold up!!

Looks great!!

Sam

Old 05-05-2008, 07:43 AM

They look good, I had to re-read that two or three times to understand all of that.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:04 PM

Sorry Guys..........There was alot to it...........They are IRON GIRL STRONG.....Bounced them all around and they are not moving. I will be going out 4 wheelin on Saturday I will post video ! [/align]

Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 PM

Your explanation didn't make a lick of sense to me, but they look good. Any pics from underneath? Any plans to mass-produce/sell?

Old 05-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Look good and should fit whether you have the Adventure pkg or not.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:07 AM

i like them alot
will they act as a rock slider as well?

Quick Reply: UNVEILING OF THE ROCK SLIDERS