PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under body shield kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:11 AM
Default Under body shield kit

I installed the GM underbody shield kit this weekend. As I did so I wondered about any feedback from members as I should have asked first. I usually in the past used skid plates underneath myvehicles. Should I have gone with skid plates vice this kit? Does it have a propensity to get hung up? Any problems with it as I got it because of a very good price?And do I need to crank my tbars or should I use keys (joke) and no im not posting pictures. Thanks, Mike

Old 03-31-2008, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Under body shield kit

I had it installed about a month ago but haven't gone off-roading yet. They do sit closer to the ground then the factory skid plates do, but I can't imagine it getting hung up on anything. I guess we'll find out.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Where I do most of my wheeling, in the woods, over logs, around fallen trees, my thought is I would not use the GM factory UBP. I have to think I'd be dragging half the forest out with me snagged in the "grid" design.

Snagging up brush and and hanging it close to or in contact with the exhaust might also start a carbique. I'll use plates, not a bar grid. I am sure they work fine for the rock crawlers out where there is no trees/brush to snag. I got no rocks to crawl here in MI.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:28 AM

I'm definitely more of a rock crawler out here in AZ. I've used the UCP a few times, including having the truck slide somewhat sideways down a rock. They bent just a bit but held up well considering the weight and impact on it. No complaints about the OEM UCP from me. Has not hung up on anything.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:39 AM

mine has scrapped a few timea on break-over, but has not gotten hung up on anything. We were talking about the same thing while I was installing them, and we came to the conclusion that you would have to literally "fall" strait down on an object to actually get it hung up. It would have to be a perfect sized rock as well. Any item strong enough to actually get hung up on in that position would get hit by your front skid, there for stopping you, or warning you of the impending doom. The H1 has the same grid pattern on its skids. I think you'll be ok!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:50 AM

All great input as I do appreciate that. And if you followed the line from the front skid back you are right it would need to punch a hole. Just got scared a tad after I installed them as all others were plates. Thanks all I guess they stay on! Next up, diffs and rear axle!

Old 03-31-2008, 04:08 PM

I've installed the UBP and the read diff. cover and it's worth having that peace of mind knowing your protected. As for getting hung up, I've never got stuck on anything with it.You do have more stuff to clean afterwards, but just hook up a lawn sprinkler and let it run under your truck and it will get all the dirt/mud off of it.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Trey124

I've installed the UBP and the read diff. cover and it's worth having that peace of mind knowing your protected. As for getting hung up, I've never got stuck on anything with it.You do have more stuff to clean afterwards, but just hook up a lawn sprinkler and let it run under your truck and it will get all the dirt/mud off of it.
That is such a great idea. So simple, yet, I never thought of it [&o]

Old 03-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

I have added the rear axle and diff skid paltes and the UCP from Boulder Accessories. I climed over all types of terrain last weekend with no issues. Trye is right. The H1s have used this type of driveline protection for 15 years with no issues. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:04 PM

You might be able to add some smooth steelplates on the OEM sheilds

here is a link to a skid "plate". It looks good but probably pretty heavy and could trap mud and brush etc.

http://www.defeliceinnovations.com/P...9/Default.aspx

Quick Reply: Under body shield kit