PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 09:31 PM
Default Tuning

Just thought I'd share what I did to tune my 06 hummer h3 incase anyone else had the same questions I had. First off doc Olds helped out alot I appreciate the help. Anyway I was looking for fuel mileage at first but then decided to go for the speed and take off. I ended up getting a ported throttle body from Supermodulation and air doc and an afe pro dry s air filter and I did change my spark plugs and I did the coil pack spring delete kit also from Supermodulation. Just in those couple things the hummer really took off. I did throw around the idea of a mail order pcm tune but Supermodulation has a street tune he offered which is a much better tune and can get the fullest out of my vehicle. All said and done I just need an exhaust and the hummer has a lot more power and speed it's amazing the difference.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:17 AM
Smile

If you are happy that's good, but adding a pcm tune to what you have already done will make you extremely happy.

Last edited by RKSmith163; 07-17-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
If you are happy that's good, but adding a pcm tune to what you have already done will make extremely happy.
From what I understand though which don't hold me to it I don't know that much about this stuff but a pcm tune is a set tune you just tell them your mods and they change the pcm around. What happened with mine was we hooked up a computer and software where he could read everything the hummer was doing. He could see what that engine preferred and got the most out of it before it would start to throw knocking codes

Old 07-16-2015, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
If you are happy that's good, but adding a pcm tune to what you have already done will make extremely happy.
^^^^This! BIG Difference! I had an 04' & that thing was Slow as a Turtle & it helped but just made the Turtle a lil' Faster. When i got my 09' (i know there's a lot of difference in the 2 models but when i did a Tune to my 09' it will Throw you against the Back of the seat, just rolling along at 20 mph & get on it & it's pretty Violent)! Only thing else i've done to it was put a dyno-flow on it! I had a K&N on it for about a month but i didn't like that Giant Sucking Sound so i took it back off & i couldn't tell any difference with it anyway!

Old 07-16-2015, 02:15 PM

Your 06' has the same motor as my 04' & other than putting a SC or Blower on it there's not much you can do to actually make it Fast, per say! Like i said on my 04' it was slow but the PCM just made it Not as Slow if this Helps! GL!

Old 07-16-2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by mattdillon
Your 06' has the same motor as my 04' & other than putting a SC or Blower on it there's not much you can do to actually make it Fast, per say! Like i said on my 04' it was slow but the PCM just made it Not as Slow if this Helps! GL!
I'm pretty sure the street tune does change the pcm it just changes the pcm without having to take it out the program plugs into the plug under the steering wheel and changes the entire program. But I may be wrong

Old 07-20-2015, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

"Street tune" is a "mail order tune", same thing PCMofNC is doing. For one to claim theirs is better than the other, they would have to look at the tune put on the PCM by the other, compare, and then reach conclusions, rather than make marketing claims. The difference would be minuscule.

PCMofNC has more Hummer customers, SuperMod leans Colly/Canyon. The Colly/Canyon is substantially lighter than an H3.

I would not be in a hurry to put a Street tune on an off road vehicle, just sayin...... Seriously, unless you intend to do the above mentioned comparison, it is purely a matter of personal choice.

Bugs Bunny: What you don't know can't hurt you.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
"Street tune" is a "mail order tune", same thing PCMofNC is doing. For one to claim theirs is better than the other, they would have to look at the tune put on the PCM by the other, compare, and then reach conclusions, rather than make marketing claims. The difference would be minuscule.

PCMofNC has more Hummer customers, SuperMod leans Colly/Canyon. The Colly/Canyon is substantially lighter than an H3.

I would not be in a hurry to put a Street tune on an off road vehicle, just sayin...... Seriously, unless you intend to do the above mentioned comparison, it is purely a matter of personal choice.

Bugs Bunny: What you don't know can't hurt you.
But a street tune reads the motor and it's an exact tune for that exact motor compared to a mail order tune that's pre set and your motor may not except it as well as it should

Old 07-21-2015, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by thorg113
But a street tune reads the motor and it's an exact tune for that exact motor compared to a mail order tune that's pre set and your motor may not except it as well as it should
Not exactly. Mail order tunes are based upon the same input. Let's take an I5 H3 with 3.5 L auto trans as an example. From the factory, all cookie cutter identical, that is the starting point.

If you go to a local tuner, he sits in the passenger seat with his Laptop and sets a tune that starts with a set of improvements put in place for all 3.5L I5 Hummers he has previously done. After that, the street tuner is only changing certain variables, he is not inventing it on the fly as he goes. Based upon your individual truck, tires, other mods, he goes through certain predetermined variables that he confirms with your input as you drive.... the tuner says: do you like the shift firmer, quicker, slower... and sets it where you want, and so on. You are picking offered variables verbally and can feel/test the difference as you go. That is perhaps the best way to get exactly what you are looking for, if you do not already know what you want.

The mail order tune starts essentially with the same set of improvements, based upon the mail order tuner's street tunes he has already done for all 3.5L H3s, and then offers the variables in a drill down list so you pick how firm and fast your shifts are, and so on. Obviously you will not be able to feel the changes in variables until you plug in the tuned PCM and drive.

Not everybody has a tuner locally nearby, or the time to go do it. If you already know you want the firmest shifts possible, highest shift kick-down, removal of the rev limiter, reduction of TC to 5-10%, your installed mods, tire size, etc.... you pick from a menu and order.