PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to buy an H2 but have questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:58 AM
Default Trying to buy an H2 but have questions

Hey Board,

I got an H2 when I was younger and after a few years and 4 dollar gas prices I was forced to give it up. Fast forward 10 years and the urge to get another one is still there. I'm just wondering on how they hold up? I've seen them with 65k miles and 190k miles. Is there a number I should stay away from? I plan on keeping this bad boy forever and I know things will go wrong but I don't want to get one and have the tranny drop out. Any help is greatly appreciated as I know the truck well but don't know the mechanical side. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dakota25
Hey Board,

I got an H2 when I was younger and after a few years and 4 dollar gas prices I was forced to give it up. Fast forward 10 years and the urge to get another one is still there. I'm just wondering on how they hold up? I've seen them with 65k miles and 190k miles. Is there a number I should stay away from? I plan on keeping this bad boy forever and I know things will go wrong but I don't want to get one and have the tranny drop out. Any help is greatly appreciated as I know the truck well but don't know the mechanical side. Thanks in advance.
I have 2 H2's. An 03 and 05. Same issues in both trucks, nothing major though, water leaking from lights on top of cab (had to re-silicone), changed ignition switch, bolts breaking off into the intake manifold, pitman arm in one truck, noisy fan clutch in one truck. Nothing with tranny or engine thank god. My 03 has 79k and my 05 has 77k. I may sell my 05 if I get a good offer. it is in mint condition, blue, spare tire swing, gobi cage, ladder, piaa lights, new tires, new brakes, no leaks....

Old 01-13-2015, 05:17 PM
Talking

If You really like HummerH2 so buy it! You will enjoy it any way! This kind of truck is unbelievable! And H2 has big potential so they can run and last long enough! For sure everything depends on how previous driver maintaine vehicle, his driving habits, how often and how accurate he or she used Hummer for off- roading etc. But just in case, You can always fix it! And problems could be also with Mercedeses or BMWs so buy it and enjoy it! Life is too short, my friend! Let youself have some fun!

Old 01-13-2015, 10:58 PM

Mcioci: I'd rather then 03 to the 05 but how much are you looking for?

I definitely want anther, I was one of the first to have one and miss the truck, it was very good to me.

I can fix little things just don't want the tranny or major issues occurring.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dakota25
Mcioci: I'd rather then 03 to the 05 but how much are you looking for?

I definitely want anther, I was one of the first to have one and miss the truck, it was very good to me.

I can fix little things just don't want the tranny or major issues occurring.
My 05 is in immaculate shape. I keep my trucks in tip top shape. I also have my rims powder coated black, tvs in headrests, Kenwood radio dvd player with Bluetooth and gps. What is your email address and I can send you some pics. Truck is probably worth 25k these days, we can negotiate once you see the pics and like the truck.

Last edited by mcioci; 01-14-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:14 AM

There is no used vehicle that you can buy and not be guaranteed you won't have a transmission or other major issue. Just buy the best you can afford and if the tranny goes out have it rebuilt and enjoy the best vehicle on the road for many more years to come.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:48 AM

Not sure how long you had your first H2. So don't know what issues you've experienced but since your llooking at 03's I thought I'd give you a checklist.

As said above manifold bolts- notorious on all LS motors

Mirrors- make sure they work in all functions and aren't all sloppy

Rear license plate frame- plastic studs break and pull out

Leaks- from front and rear roof marker lights

Radiator- check if it has been replaced or has had an external tranny cooler mounted to the front of the rad. This is how many tranny's meet their demise when the internal cooler lets go and floods the trans with coolant.

Rust- back corners of the quarter panels, bottom of tailgate and around gas cap.

Service records

Car fax

Owner or dealer- I prefer private as you get meet the owner and get an opinion on how the truck was cared for used etc.

Air suspension- if it has air bag suspension. Look at the h2. Leave then come back unannounced a couple of days later and see if the h2 is sagging in the rear. If there is any sag. I would run as repairs are coming. Personally I prefer coils so I never have to deal with those issues.

Good luck hope this helps.

Last edited by madmayo; 01-14-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:12 PM

I bought my '03 H2 Adventure last year and had 129k miles. Clean in and out including the undercarriage. Still runs strong and never had a problem (knock on wood ) I only take it to the dealer for any maintenance just for peace of mind Like collega said, life is too short, have fun! If the H2 is what you want, jump on it and just enjoy the ride! It will definitely put a on your face! Good luck in your search!

Old 01-15-2015, 07:21 AM

I'm looking for another one myself.
I was even thinking of starting a thread for H2 owners trading theirs in to state any major issues it may have to assist future H2 owners.

Anyway, I talked to my mechanic who still works at a former Hummer dealership. He said there are customers that have over 400k miles on their H2. So, they were built to last, but of course anything with many moving parts will have issues over time.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by pool_shark
I'm looking for another one myself.
I was even thinking of starting a thread for H2 owners trading theirs in to state any major issues it may have to assist future H2 owners.

Anyway, I talked to my mechanic who still works at a former Hummer dealership. He said there are customers that have over 400k miles on their H2. So, they were built to last, but of course anything with many moving parts will have issues over time.
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the insight. Another question I have is what is the "internet connectivity" feature. When I had mine we didn't have smart phones or the new age technology

Quick Reply: Trying to buy an H2 but have questions