PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trouble with my hummer h1 2004 wagon...please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Default trouble with my hummer h1 2004 wagon...please help!!!!

Ok I am desperate…so now I am posting here hoping for some hummer h1 genius to help me out. I was driving my Hummer h1 2004 wagon with 14,000 miles in perfect condition to lunch on Sunday. I have been driving it before that and it worked like a charm never had any problems. Well after lunch I go to fire it up and let the glow plugs warm up and start it and all it did was crank up. It did not start. I don’t think nothing is wrong with the glow plugs because when it cranks it does not blow black smoke through the exhaust which I have been told is a sign that something is wrong with the glow plugs. It finally started after an hour of letting it sit and turned off 3 seconds later. Then it turned on again and then turned off by itself as I was backing up. And then after driving about 5 meters it turned off on me again and did not start. I towed it back to my hangar. The next day I tried to start it and it started perfectly however I realized that it only starts the first time, it would not start again unless a long period of time passed such as 6-12 hours. So every morning I would start it after letting it sit all night and it would fire up with no difficulties what so ever but if you then tried it an hour later it would not start. It would just crank and crank. Then one day I started it and it started fine and I then tried it 15 minutes later and it started. I then took it out and drove it around to do some things and I left it parked for an hour and then It started. Then I went to have lunch and left it for 3 hours and then I started. As I was driving it it turned off on me in the middle of the road. I tried to start it and it just cranked. After 10 minutes I tried it again and it started. I then went to the cemetery and turned it off for about 15 minutes. It did not want to start. I waited for about 15 minutes and it barely started. I decided to go take it back to my garage where I have not touched it since. My problem is that there are no hummer dealerships nearby, and being in such a country the mechanics here have no idea what is what in such a car. I have been thinking of bringing down a hummer mechanic however I found a mechanic that works onsome hummvees. He says that he does not know what the problem is but if I were to tell him he may be able to fix it. Any ideas? I would truly appreciate any help. Thank you very much.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Default RE: trouble with my hummer h1 2004 wagon...please help!!!!

Dang man that sucks, its like your playing a slot machiene. If you dont mind me asking what did it cost you to get that thing down there. Im sure someone in or around there knows how to work on a chevy 6.5 turbo but i dont know if i would trust that.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:38 AM

Yeah if i am lucky to turn it oni am afraid to drive it anywhere thinking it might turn off.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:03 PM

Hey Franco, this kind of sounds like a PMD issue.
The weakest link with 6.5L's is that the PMD(Pump Mounted Driver) is really close to the engine and gets exposed to hot temps. To check this do the jedi water trick that is pouring water on the injection pump(in the valley of the engine) and if it starts up then it more than likely is the PMD.
This is a fairly simple fix if you by a relocation kit. which you can get from alot of accessory dealers. then pick yourself up a new PMD for about 600-700USD and unplug the old one then mount and plug the new one in.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:57 PM

PMD - those are the symptoms..... should be covered under warranty

Old 06-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Definitely sounds like the PMD. If you are going to replace it get the relocation kit and replace the old PMD at a new, cooler location.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:03 AM

this is hummech.
if you are still having problems with your hummer please PM me. i will get you in touch with AM General. they will help you out.