PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Transmission Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:50 AM
Default Transmission Help Needed

Hey guys,
I have a 1997 KSC2 extended cab hardtop truck. I had the dreaded cylinder wall issues and recently had my old diesel engine replaced with a new turbo diesel. Everything was great for 6 months or so. Over the last few weeks I noticed some transmission "surging" and not wanting to change to higher gears. This only happened a few times and seemed to be only first thing in the morning.
Fast forward two weeks, I was driving it down to the local Lowes and it started making a very loud noise while in gear that sounded almost like a piece of metal in the fan. Very loud! I checked the fan ( nothing there) and proceeded to "baby" it home. Made it to within 1 block of my house and it would no longer go. It cranks and runs fine. But will not engage in any gear. At least the noise is gone Plenty of ATF there. Any ideas? Torque Convertor? Any easy checks you can think of?
Thanks in advance for any advice

Old 03-23-2016, 04:03 PM

Look for metal in the oil. It could be the trans or the Tcase or a diff or a wheel hub. I would check all the fluids for metal ( trans first). Sounds like you might need a tranny. Where are you located at? Any fault codes?

Old 03-24-2016, 07:23 AM

Ian,
I am located in South Georgia. I will check for metal. If it is tranny. What is the best replacement to go with? Stock? Rebuild?
I dont want to dump a million bucks in it but I also dont want to be replacing it again in 6 months.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:25 AM

Trans rebuilds are not cheep. A transmission is like a watch- there is a lot of little moving gars and parts and they all have to work together. I hope you would not buy a watch that you never heard of... I would go to a known trans shop ( with a good reputation and good warenty). If you do the work your self make shue to thoroughly flush or replace the trans cooler. I would first start by removing the Tcase fill plug- if the oil level is over full you got the vampire. If about a spoon full of oil comes out the tcase fill plug thats ok but if more than a spoon full(like a cup or a quart or more) comes out the Tcase ifill plug then the internal cooling loop is cracked pushing the trans oil into Tcase. This sucks the life (oil) out of your tranny and most people dont realize it until it's too late that's why it's called the vampire.