PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case Button 4 low lock lighting up

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Default Transfer Case Button 4 low lock lighting up

The 4 low lock button is lighting up while I am driving. It is off and on, never constant. So I think there may be a short somewhere.
Has anyone had this happen? And what is the fix?

Old 08-02-2012, 06:28 PM

Switch on, light on... Switch off, light off.... Check those switches and make sure they are all outward(short is in the switch)... cycle the switches and make sure they all come out to the same outward position.... Kind of like the switches on your computer mouse..

Old 08-02-2012, 06:56 PM

Buttons are fine. I have cycled them. Seem to work fine. But it will still light up off and on while driving. It is not actually switching the t case.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:25 PM

I have a 2007 base. No rear locker.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:25 PM

Problem is in the switch. The switch sends the signal & lights up internally. If the switch is off, I don't know any other way that the light, inside the switch, would come on? Loose contact inside the switch, or switch is partially on!!!!... Take the switch apart, disable it, or replace it.
You would get a service 4wd if the switch was sending the signal... Electrical shorts if left alone can end up being very costly!!!... Get to the bottom of it.. GL

Old 08-02-2012, 10:19 PM

When you touch the button,the computer reads the resistance of a string of resistors and does 2 things. 1,it switches the light on thru a transistor, and 2, it selects the mode you pressed.
If the light is blinking it could be a simple loose plug/socket, or the computer is going bad.
Since nothing changes,id think its a loose/dirty connector behind the sw panel.
Sometime last year someone posted a diagram of the circuit. Its in the svc book.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the replys... I will pull apart the dash tonight and let you know if I find any thing.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:42 PM

So I pulled it apart and it is just a small board in there with the lights and buttons on it. Nothing to it. Cleaned it and still havong the same problem. Foind the part online and they 300.00 for it. For about 5 bucks worth of plastic and leds. nothing there, to really change. The buttons do what they are supposed to do. I can switch the transfer case to all three positions. And it is driving fine. I do have a aftermarker stero in there, checked the connection to make sure I did not have anything loose. It all looks good. Guess I may have to break down and spend the 300 to see if that is the issue.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:37 AM

FYI, You can find the 4x4 controls on ebay cheaper than $300. Does the low lock button light up in addition to the 4 Hi light or does only one at a time come on?

Old 08-04-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer
FYI, You can find the 4x4 controls on ebay cheaper than $300. Does the low lock button light up in addition to the 4 Hi light or does only one at a time come on?
X2 on Ebay, I bought 1 of each style (no locker, 1 locker, both lockers for future repair parts) I think I paid $25ea.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Button 4 low lock lighting up