PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer hitch wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 02:53 AM
Default Trailer hitch wiring

OK, just installed an aftermarket hitch! Beautiful fit, tucks high under the bumper (not like the handi-cap access ramp hitch I had on my pathfinder, I used to be able to rake the lawn with it, it was so low)
Now for the fun part.
My H3 doesn't have the trailer package. Now one would think that Hummer would run a set of wires, in case some-one decided that they wanted that option down the road. (So the GM tecks would have an easy time of it.)
I have the short six pin set up,that came with the hitch, and I know that you can always adapt down to four if need be.
My question is, "Where the frick, are the wires/harness at the back of the vehicle to plug into? Do they exist, or do I have to go to Hummer just to have (what I'm sure will be a very expensive ) set of wires run from front to back?
Please don't guess, but if anyone knows for sure it would be greatly appreciated.
I love the commradery here and If I can ever help anyone I am more than willing.

Van Can.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Default RE: Trailer hitch wiring

Open the rear door, look straight down between the bumber and inside of the rear cargo area. Or, lay down underneath and stick your head way up high looking out through the top of the bumper and the underside of the body. You'll see them there. Trust me, I had the exact same situation and it took me about a half hour of cursing GM and the another half hour to finally follow a wire and find them basically sitting on top of the bumper (just hidden extremely well).

Old 06-03-2008, 03:21 PM

Thanks Buddy, I did find them, and for the record I have an 08. So we now know 08's have them as well. My local GM tech said that they would have to go front to back with a whole new wire set up for a couple of hundred bucks. When I questioned that he said "Well you want to be carefull not to fry your computer." with a menacing one toothed grin.
I talked to another "Our kind of Guy" parts guy at a different dealership and he told me this was untrue and that I would find them.
(I'm now buying a leveling kit from him)
I could not see the wires between bumber and cargo but after much frame reaching (in that general area I felt a single wire poking out of the plastic sheathing, I pulled carfully and brown and white came out. Seeing this I knew that they were what I wanted, and gave a hard tug, pulling out the back-folded four wires. So for anyone else, Don't give up they are there!
I got a hitch from Lordco $115.00 Canadian.
It is the exact, and I mean exact same hitch as the $250.oo one from GM. (Saw it with my own eyes.)

[IMG]local://upfiles/4815/740D4FDAE7334F5091B8FFFCC9531158.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-04-2008, 07:46 AM

You should check out my FAQ I made specifically for this on the FAQ section of the H3 forum.