PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Trailer Hitch - Weight Distribution Style

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Default Trailer Hitch - Weight Distribution Style

Hi,

I have a 2006 H2. Also have Travel Trailer thatI want to pull. Trailer is within weight limits of H2. The H2 has stock rear spare tire carrier.

The problem is the spare tire clearance does not allow weight distribution hitch to mount without a long extension. Long extension is not a good idea.

I was wondering if anyone has solved problem and if so, how did you do it? Move tire, special hitch adaptor, etc..

Thanks in advance for any ideas !

Old 03-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Trailer Hitch - Weight Distribution Style

Assuming you don't want the interior spare tire mount and don't have a roof rack you can put your spare on is the anyplace on/in the travel trailer for the H2 spare? How much room do you need to make your hitch work?

Old 03-01-2008, 11:44 AM

I searched around a little bit (like I'm sure you did already but had to do it myself to see) and there is nothing that really moves the spare. Maybe you can try what 3hummers is talking about and put it on the trailer for the time being. I've seen a few Gobi Racks online that can solve the problem but it might cause clearance issues for you.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:23 PM

At the risk of answering my own question, the solution is as follows:

Buy the Equal-i-zer weight distributing hitch, which is available without a shank, the piece that goes into the receiver on H2. Also order the shank which gives a 9" drop and a 12" extension. This will clear under the tire and with the hitch itself extending beyond the shank arm, it will clear the tire itself.

Found this out from a person on RV.net. He tows the same trailer I have with an H2, very helpful fellow.