PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with the new Alpha

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Default Towing with the new Alpha

I know that the new Alpha H3 has a towing capacity of 6000lbs...

Has anybody had real world experiences towing with close to this amount with the new Alpha?

I am saving right now for a down payment and am thinking about getting one in the spring..

I would be towing around 5500lbs...a Jeep Wrangler on a 14 ' car trailer with electric brakes...

I just dont want to over do it with towing.. I used to have a 2006 H3 and had all kind of problems with the I5...got rid of it after 6 months...I loved the truck though!

anyones thoughts...I just feel I am so close to the limit....

thanks

Jim

Old 11-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Default RE: Towing with the new Alpha

well,it will have the same engine my silverado has,and i have towed a loaded semi down the road.not something i would do everyday,but it did it,and didnt have any problems,and that was 20000 miles ago

Old 11-23-2007, 09:13 AM

thanks...

My wifes Tahoe had a 5.3 in it.. I think they even bumped up the horsepower in the Alpha.. I am assuming the weight restriction is because of the smaller vehicle size than like a Tahoe or Suburban which are bigger...

Any more experiences out there?

Thx

Old 11-23-2007, 09:33 AM

ORIGINAL: milkman

I know that the new Alpha H3 has a towing capacity of 6000lbs...

Has anybody had real world experiences towing with close to this amount with the new Alpha?

I am saving right now for a down payment and am thinking about getting one in the spring..

I would be towing around 5500lbs...a Jeep Wrangler on a 14 ' car trailer with electric brakes...

I just dont want to over do it with towing.. I used to have a 2006 H3 and had all kind of problems with the I5...got rid of it after 6 months...I loved the truck though!

anyones thoughts...I just feel I am so close to the limit....

thanks

Jim
I have towed my Lotus (2800lbs) and sundry equipment back and forth to the track with no problems.[sm=gears.gif]

I had done so with my '07 H3 (I5) as well and never had a problem either, but I got the Alpha for the extra towing capacity. I don't think you will be disappointed. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]I would suggest driving in "3" rather than "D" when towing since drive is actually overdrive and the tranny will be down/upshifting constantly with any kind of change in grade. No noticable effect on mileage since towing 5,000 pounds sort of eliminates fuel efficiency

Old 11-23-2007, 01:21 PM

haven't towed anything yet in mine!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:25 AM

does the factory tow package have a 7 wire setup? If you are hauling anything over a few thousand pounds you should have E-Brakes...any word on how far they are wired up?

Jim

Old 11-24-2007, 07:47 AM

Yes, set up for electic brakes with a 7-wire.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:29 AM

i think anymore,if it has a hitch,it has a 7 pin harness

Old 11-24-2007, 04:55 PM

That sucks because I didn't get the factory tow package so I'm stuck with a four pin![:@] From what I understand it's a pain to wire it for a 7 pin harness.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:54 PM

I just hauled around 1200# with my 06 H3. It really KNEW it was back there at a hiway speed of 65-70. At surface rd speeds, no issue but I tend to judge towing capacities by the ease (or strain!) of hiway speeds. How long it takes to get back up to speed, downshifting on grades, cruise control manners, etc. I'm thinkin my sleds is about the max for the lil I5. I'd believe a 5.3 would nearly like it?

Quick Reply: Towing with the new Alpha