PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Hooks

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 12:19 AM
Default Tow Hooks

I just recieved my new Aries Grill Guard. I am trying to remove the front tow hooks. I have all of the bolts out but the thing still doesn't want to come off. Other tow hooks that I have seen have a little allen bolt in the middle that needs to be removed. Mine don't have that. I don't know what is holding the darn thing on! I have pulled on it and even hit it with a rubber mallot!

Can anyone help me out! Thanks in advance.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:24 AM
Default RE: Tow Hooks

Unfortunately, you have the earlier model of the H3 and the tow hooks have a screw from the backside of the bumper still holding them on...I have heard here that you have to remove the bumper to get at the screws...Do a search on "Tow Hooks"..this ain't the first time this subject has been discussed.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:38 AM

Thanks. I did a search... it looks like I might have to pull off the front bumper. What a pain! I cant even see where I could possibly access this hidden bolt.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:09 AM

are the tow hook going to be put back on after the brush guard? If they are then you are going to have to take teh bumper off to access the bolts unfortunately. If the tow hooks are not going to be put back on then you can take a die grinder to the front of the tow hook and grind down the center till you come to the threads of the bolt, then either continue to grind the bolt till it falls out or once you can see the bolt drill a hole in the center and pound in the next size bigger torx or allen bit and back the screw out that way. I'm a retired industrial mechanic and we had to do stuff like this all the time when taking a 2 ton machine apart wasn't an option to access a inward facing bolt.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:31 AM

Thanks for the info! You guys are great!

Old 09-28-2006, 02:19 AM

ORIGINAL: lexunet

Thanks. I did a search... it looks like I might have to pull off the front bumper. What a pain! I cant even see where I could possibly access this hidden bolt.
do this, after you took off the bolt from the hook bracket, put a long screw driver thru the hole on the bracket as a leveage, and turn the whole thing counterclockwise, it will come off .... that 's what happened to me exactly...finally figure that out...

Old 09-28-2006, 09:06 AM

I removed hooks then removed bolts to frame,put hooks back on and used pipe wrench and slide it through hook and turn counterclockwise while pulling out. You will have some scratches behind it but the new hooks will cover them. Takes around 10 minutes,Good luck

Old 09-28-2006, 01:37 PM

Removed the bumper and was able to get to the hidden screws. What a pain! After that, I was able to get the new grill guard on in a matter of minutes. Thank you guys very much. There is such a great wealth of knowledge here.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

There was no way to jack the H3 up and access those bolts with the bumper still on? There's no way to slide your arm in somewhere and do it, or is that back of the bumper up against the chasis? I was going to buy a brush guard but not if it's all of this work.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:47 PM

Look at your tow hooks. If they have the torx bolt in the center, all you need to do is remove it with a torx driver, or allen wrench that fits. If you don't see the torx bolt then you need to go through all of that rigamaroo. The nice thing is, nothing says you have to put that little bolt back in when you put it all back together.

Quick Reply: Tow Hooks