PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? on tires kicking up rocks causing paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Default ? on tires kicking up rocks causing paint chips

Hi everyone.

My wife and I are picking up a new H3 on Tuesday and the dealer is trying to sell us a Scotchguard application to prevent the paint being chipped by the tires kicking up rocks and gravel. The application covers the siderails below the doors and where the rear wheel wells flare out. It seems to make sense, but am wondering if it is necessary or if any of you have had it done to your H3?

Also, They are selling an teflon treatment TST for both the paint and interior leather. I've had the TST on previous Toyotal vehicles paint, but not on the leather interior.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Default RE: ? on tires kicking up rocks causing paint chips

Anything that the dealer tries to sell you when buying the truck will be half that price some place else. Lots of people like the paint saverclear film and scotchguard isone of the top makers of the film. Just check around for a place that installs it and get a price. Dealer may meet it. Remember that if it gets added to the loan is costs alot more when you add the intrest you will be paying.

As for the teflon treatment you can do it yourself for the cost of a bottle of the stuff and a hour of your time.

The dealer just wants more of your maney and will be happy to charge you extra just to let them take it from you. If it's a lease ask if they will give you a comprable discount cause it will be returned is soooo much better condition. I bet not.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Default Got Flaps?

You can get oem mud flaps very inexpensively...under $80 from several web sites. First time you drive through a muddy area you find out they're a necessity. Theypretty much cancel the need for protection film, go oneasily in few minutes and look good too.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Default RE: Got Flaps?

I am with Sedona... Mud flaps are a MUST....

Old 01-21-2007, 06:28 PM

I agree with Sedona; however, I recommend the Husky mud flaps. You can find them on ebay cheaper than the OEM. They are easy to install and they look fantastic. They also come with a lifetime warranty!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...spagenameZWDVW

Old 01-21-2007, 09:39 PM

I have to agree with RutDogg..I got Husky mud flaps and they do make a difference and are very cheap.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:43 PM

If you go offroad,I would reccommend the clear protective film idea because the mudflaps can get ripped off, or otherwise mangled.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:20 AM

I've got the Husky flaps. I feel they are better than the OEM. It did not take long to install them.