PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires keep going flat!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Thumbs down Tires keep going flat!

Hey guys, I have a problem with my 98 wagon, suddenly the front tires keep going flat overnight, so I would assume that its a problem with the CTIS leaking....as I cant find any nails in the tires.

Does anyone have a diagram of the CTIS system and the hoses, or have any first hand knowledge on how to correct this problem?

Thanks

Brent

Old 11-18-2009, 12:21 PM

Could be several different things, though since the front two tires are linked with the CTIS, it could be a problem with a single tire yet draining both.

It's real common to see that type of problem, but there's several different causes.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

What wheels are you running? Check to make sure the quick disconnect is seated if you are running the steelies. Most likely culprit is sand or dirt in the valve behind the wheel. usually a quick cleaning will solve that. I have had lines crack and leak but probably the valve.

Check this link and see if that helps

http://www.flashoffroad.com/Maintena...TIS_Repair.htm

Old 11-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info and the Link!!! That gives me the starting point, I will try the items listed and see what happens!

Thanks Again

Brent

Old 11-30-2009, 09:32 AM

Hey 3hummers, sorry for the delay

You asked what rims/tires I was running, I have the Magnezium polished rims and I have not had a chance to seriously look at the truck to find the problem yet but for some reason some times it will sit for 3 days and NOT loose a pound, then other days it sits for 12 hours and there flat!!!

But as I said before I cant find a nail in the tires anywhere?!?!? However its is now winter here, the Corvette is now in storage, the bathroom reno is nearly complete so them the next item on the list is the "LEAK".

Brent

Old 11-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

I am still betting on a valve issue. My CTIS issues have always been worse when it was cold.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:45 PM

it sounds like a bad spindle seal to me. if it leaks sometimes and doesn't others it is most likely the spindle seal or a bad quick disconnect valve. isolate the front ctis from each wheel and see what goes down. one tire or is it in the system. if you suspect a leaking spindle seal,pop the vent hoses off of the geared hubs and reconnect the wheel quick disconnets. put a small hose onto the the geared hub vents and put the other side of the hose into a glassof water and look for bubbles. if you see bubbles in any of the hoses that that is your leak. use a mild dish soap and water in a spray bottle to inspect for air leaks at the wheel quick disconnects.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks again guys,

I will invest some time in the areas you have mentioned and let you know what the verdict is,

Brent

Last edited by ctdrl-1; 12-01-2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Spelelling was awfull
Old 12-01-2009, 09:54 AM

Just testing my new signature!

Old 12-12-2009, 05:07 PM

Ok I found the problem now how do I fix it?!?!?

The line is leaking right where it goes into the HUB on the right side, so obviously I need a new hose! Anyone have any idea where I can get one or what the part number is? How long it is? Anything?

Thanks,

Brent

Quick Reply: Tires keep going flat!