PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which tires???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Default Which tires???

I am about to put a 4 inch lift on my H3T Alpha with 35" tires. My problem is this, I am considering 4 different tires, and I have no direct experience with any of them. They are (in order of consideration): 1.) Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ. 2.) Toyo Open Country MT. 3.) BF Goodrich KM2. 4.) Nitto Mud Grappler. They will be used off road, but it is also my daily driver.
I am picking one of these four, so don't bother suggesting a different one, but I would like to hear all input on these, good and bad. Thanks!

Last edited by Alpha14; 07-23-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: mis-typed word
Old 07-24-2011, 01:25 AM

I really like the 35" BFG MT's and am surprised at how quiet they are considering the aggressive treads. I know they have 3 ply side walls and wonder what the other tires have for side walls? I think the newer BFG's are even better but I am very happy with the older ones.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:51 AM

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ !!!

Old 07-24-2011, 07:59 AM

I half expected to see duratracs on the list... I ran baja claws which is the same compound. They're decent tires to run and still perform off road.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:44 AM

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs have been the best "all around" tire we have owned. We have been getting consistant wear and as stated before they do everything well (snow, rain, dirt, street, mud, rocks, sand, Etc.).

The keys to longitivity with any MT is alignment, proper inflation and regular rotations. We are on our 3rd set of MT Baja MTZs on 4 different H3/H3Ts and they have been averging 50-65K. I even sold my last set with 1/4 tread for $250 (4 tires) which helped purchase the new MTZs.

SPECIAL BONUS! Cooper Tire who makes the MT Baja MTZs is located in OH. So you will get an American Made tire whos' profits stay right here in the USA! The others on your list may be "made in the USA" but none of them are owned by an American Company!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:33 AM

Toyo Mt, have them on several vehicles and they go like h*ll off road. Mud , snow, rain doesn't matter. Their downside is that they are a heavy tire and usually the most expensive. Have them siped, makes all the difference in wet weather.

After that then the Mtz's.
Km2 are great except for rain and snow.
Alot of people complain about getting only 25-30k out of the nittos, people buy them for the looks.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:16 PM

none of the above. as a professional in the tire industry i'd recommend the hankook mud terrains. as a daily driver the hankooks will ride really good and give you the best off road traction. countless number of tire tests have proven the hankooks.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Alpha14
I am about to put a 4 inch lift on my H3T Alpha with 35" tires. My problem is this, I am considering 4 different tires, and I have no direct experience with any of them. They are (in order of consideration): 1.) Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ. 2.) Toyo Open Country MT. 3.) BF Goodrich KM2. 4.) Nitto Mud Grappler. They will be used off road, but it is also my daily driver.
I am picking one of these four, so don't bother suggesting a different one, but I would like to hear all input on these, good and bad. Thanks!

I am currently running the KM2's, and had the Toyo M/T's on the vehicle I traded in when I bought the H3 2 months ago, (both in a 33" if it matters) I think both are great tires but for a daily driver I would say go with the Toyo's, they ride smoother than the KM2's, I thought the KM2's would ride really smooth but they are definitely a harsher ride, main reason I went with the KM2's was I wanted a solid white letter tire, but the Toyo's I had were an "E" rated tire, and the KM2's are only a "D" so that may make a difference. Just my two cents on the subject, good luck with the decision.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by myoder215
none of the above. as a professional in the tire industry i'd recommend the hankook mud terrains. as a daily driver the hankooks will ride really good and give you the best off road traction. countless number of tire tests have proven the hankooks.
You have got to be kidding me? Nice first post.

I wouldn't recommend Hankook anythings to my worst enemy, even if I have them insured for a million dollars.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:00 PM

The original poster even states that he was picking one of the four tires on the list so don't bother suggesting a different one. I guess that doesn't matter...

I would personally go with the MTZ's just because I had the claws and they were a great tire. I got about 35,000 miles out of them which was mostly highway. If you are looking for both qualitys on road and off, the MTZ's are your best bet. The compound of the mud grapplers is different. They do wear a lot faster than most tires but donperform well off road. They do look pretty cool though. Too bad they are made and owned by an overseas company.

Quick Reply: Which tires???