PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

thx for torsion bar posts

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Default thx for torsion bar posts

HI everyone -

I've lurked here for weeks - traded a very hard core and off road winning jeep wrangler in on a 2006 H3 about two months back....just competed for 1st time last weekend (no trophy but good outing) and am headed to Superlift park in Hot Springs, Ar with a off road group I belong to for some wheelin' this coming weekend.....in short - I've been jeepin for years...but no ideas about hummers....other than the H1's I drove for 1 year when they were coming in the army and I was going out....20 years ago...

anyway - lots of great info here - thanks to all - the threads on T-bars were great - I learned a lot - turned mine 3 times 3 weeks ago... - rides better - corners a WHOLE lot better without diving into them....and no cat-scruching-butt-in-the-air -look.... no problems - NOT one worry - even had my 4x4 shop that built all my jeep stuff check out the angles - no prob. with anything - even the camber - BTW, we are taking off those silly bridgestones and putting on some Pro Comp X terrains very soon...

I just wanted to thank everyone here - and add my 2-cents - turn them bars -won't hurt a thing and it rides a whole lot better!
john n.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Default RE: thx for torsion bar posts

Welcome, you'll love the Hummer

Old 11-02-2006, 11:27 AM

thanks!

Old 11-02-2006, 03:42 PM

How much did 3 turns lift the truck. Also did you measure your ground clearnce.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

We are happy to have you! Welcome!

Old 11-02-2006, 06:48 PM

To fisherman119 (et all)

I didn't measure the lift amount of the body to frame or tires - as I read all these threads on here, didn't think it would do that much...(I really did like the '400 pound woman in the back seat' post as a way to level out the truck!) I drove around with my boat hooked up for an extra day one time, just so it would look a little more level...

the ground clearance shouldn't have changed at all - unless I am missing something..., the bottom of the front diff is still in it's stock postition - this just lifted above the 'hooking in point' of the torsion bar - everything up from there went up a bit by turning the bars.

Now when I put on the 35" X terrain's - that will raise up ground clearance over the 33's maybe an inch....depends on width of tire and wheel combo...

what I can say is that it seems to change a little every day - somewhere on here I read about it settling...and some days it looks more level to me than others....and 3 turns did not level it completely (I put a 2 foot level on the window sill, drivers door, windows down) but it's better, to be sure, and the cornering is again, SO much better...I'm also 6'4 so I don't feel like I'm sliding down the drivers seat too.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:43 PM

Actually the front diff will be higher because what you have done is pushed the tires farther away from the vehicle, thus lifting it. I don't think without getting the torsion bar keys designed for a lift that you can get it perfectly level without really cranking on the stock keys to the point of having an absolutely crappy ride.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:36 PM

Yes, the front end is always adjusting to a degree. You can measure it, and take it for a drive, and measure again and it will be off sometimes as much a 1/2" .. it just depends. But when you drive it again, it might be back up to the first mark. It's perfectly normal for the system to do that. And, it's normal for it to be different on each side as well. Hence the independant , in IFS. It will basically travel in a "range" and stay there, so it's normal.

As for clearance with bigger tires, you can expect to gain 1/2" for every 1" increase in tires size. Suspension lifts/systems/kits rasie the vehicle form the axles up, leaving the axles where they were. Tire size will determine the location of the axle. So going bigger will raise them too, but like I said, only half an inch for each inch bigger.