PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Throw 'em the heater...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Default Throw 'em the heater...

I posted some time ago about my '08 Alpha cycling in waves of warm air while the a/c is on... 90% of the time the Alpha blows great cold air but every 45 seconds or so, I can feel a breadth of warm air (in Phoenix too) . I was told from my repeated service visits that this is normal of H3 and the compressor (so it doesn't freeze over). On the last service visit I made the tech drive with me around the block and he definitely felt the wave of warmer air but since the temperature didn't change more than 5 degrees according to the gauge in the vent he wasn't concerned. This wasn't acceptable so I asked him to look at the condenser/compressor. He obliged and put on some special goggles to view things...sure enough my condenser was leaking coolant and needed to be replaced. Warranty took care of it.
We've had the car back for 1 week since condenser replacement and we are feeling the warmer air come thru more frequent again-
what else could this be?
Did they really replace the condenser? Can the condenser crack again?
Does anyone feel this same issue and what can we do to improve the situation or is this as good as it gets with H3 engineering for cooling the truck?
Thanks for all the support and I will always post updates so others can learn from our experiences.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Default RE: Throw 'em the heater...

Never had this issue in my I5 H3 here in Phx.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Had our H3 Alpha for over a year and no issues at all. Put a mark on the compressor and take it back.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

To answer one of your questions, yes a condenser can crack. Like any automotive part, there can be a defective one, but I have never heard of this being a common problem. Not likely to happen twice to the same vehicle, but anything is possible?

I had a GMC that came up with a bad alternator after 30K miles or so. They had to rplace it twice in less than 10 days because the first replacement was also bad?