PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

For those that have the latest oem nav unit... step in please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 07:06 PM
Default For those that have the latest oem nav unit... step in please.

Just upgraded my 6 CD changer radio to a nav radio 15800000.
All is good, however, is it normal that if you are in nav mode for the radio to do a disc scan for about 30 seconds before the maps appear every time you start the truck? I thought that was s bit odd.
everything works very well after that.
if you are in radio or XM mode, it does the scan in the background.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:08 PM

Truck is a 2005 BTW.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:00 PM

My 08 factory nav doesn't take that long, but i think it's a different system iirc

Old 11-24-2018, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by yrkdmaxh2
My 08 factory nav doesn't take that long, but i think it's a different system iirc
08 and 09 are indeed different radios..

Old 11-24-2018, 08:19 AM

I think the newer 08+ models likely load the map data to an internal memory whenever updated and then subsequently load the data from the internal memory while the older models have to load the map data from a disc every time which would likely be slower. The older models probably have a much slower internal processor as well. I know on my aftermarket Kenwood unit - it has built in Garmin GPS (which you can easily buy updated maps for). I was using a DNX-691HD which is a 2014 model from Kenwood. Up recently got a deal on a newer DNX-693S which is a 2018 model. Just 4 year newer model but the startup time went from about a 45 seconds to about 20 seconds which is a very noticeable improvement in speed. Granted once either was running there was little difference but I'd say the newer one does respond to things a little quicker like changing between sources like USB or FM or Nav. If it matters and you felt a desire to upgrade the Kenwood model I mentioned (using the correct adapters) retains all of the factory functions and if you do not have the upgraded Onstar then you can basically disable the Onstar and use the factory GPS antenna and microphone for the aftermarket Kenwood keeping things even more "factory" looking instead of having to run an aftermarket GPS antenna and having the aftermarket mic hanging out somewhere. Another thing I appreciate on the specific model Kenwood I have is that it is one of the few that retains an actual physical volume ****. On aftermarket units that does come at the expense of a slightly smaller screen then the models that have no traditional ****. But with no ****, just like the stupid new phones these days you MUST physically LOOK at your screen to do anything. With the **** I can keep my eyes on the road and turn it down if I want to in a hurry. I did also get the steering wheel controls interface as well so there is also the ability to turn the volume up/down, change stations, track, etc with that as well but I just like the traditional **** as well. I know most of the younger generation does not care about that and just wants the largest screen possible though.