PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are These Shifting Problems Common?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 06:15 PM

I had the exact issue in my 5 speed '99 Cherokee from the day it was born, never got worse or better. It was hit and miss. When it wouldn't go into first, I would use second gear. I could take off in second as smoothly as I could first, now I have an auto and those issues are gone. Some manuals just don't sync as well as they should.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:17 PM

I have an '08 H3 Adventure. At 30,000 miles it acted just like yours. The dealer put in a new clutch and pressure plate. Problem solved.

Then at 40,000 miles it started doing the same things again! I was thinking about taking it back to the dealer when the weather warmed up, but blew the front diff while bucking a snow drift across my driveway. So, seeing as it was now at Willis, I figured they might as well fix the clutching problem also.

I thought it had something to do with the master/slave cylinders. The guys at Willis thought so too. So they bled them. No Change. Next, they ordered and installed new ones. That didn't work either. They tore into the transmission. nothing wrong. Yesterday they told me the GM Tech said to replace the clutch and pressure plate. I haven't talked to them today.

I like this little truck, but I'm not going to be able to afford to replace the clutch and pressure plate every 10,000 miles after the warrantee is up.

In the past 40 years I have had five Chevy 1/2 ton trucks, 3 Corvettes, and 6 cars with manual transmissions. I usually drive them for over 100,000 miles. I have replaced one clutch in the past 40 years!

Old 02-14-2011, 10:01 AM

Friday afternoon my Hummer dealer, Willis Auto Campus called, and said my little Hummer was ready to pick up. The last thing they did was to install a new clutch and pressure plate. Once again, it is running and shifting like a new one.

In talking with the service mgr., it seems that it was the fault of the pressure plate. He said the clutch itself was like new, but the pressure plate was weak.

Anybody here have any idea what Gm was putting in the H3 for a clutch?

Old 02-14-2011, 11:59 AM

My H3 is an auto, but I've similar issues with manuals in the past. Usually if it's hard to put into 1st or reverse from a stop, just holding the clutch and putting it into another gear then into the gear you want does the trick (holding the clutch in the whole time).

Old 02-14-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
My H3 is an auto, but I've similar issues with manuals in the past. Usually if it's hard to put into 1st or reverse from a stop, just holding the clutch and putting it into another gear then into the gear you want does the trick (holding the clutch in the whole time).
Yeah, that's the way this one started out both times. As time goes on, however, it gets harder and harder to find a gear that it will go into. Eventually it got to the point where I would have to shut the engine off to be able to get into a gear.

Normally, when I park, I leave it in the gear that I am going to use when I start it back up.

There are times, tho, when I want to put the trans in neutral and let the engine run.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:27 PM

Manson75-
I feel your pain.
I have an 07 and I have trouble getting it in gear from time to time.
I actually thought I had a bad synchronizer on third gear from the time I bought the truck.
I had the fluid changed, which for my year is "manual transmission fluid".
It seemed to help, but from time to time, it will take being very deliberate to get it into third gear.
I have about 30,000 miles and all in all it has not been a significant problem.
Everyone is correct in saying this is a truck.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by wfturner
Manson75-
I feel your pain.
I have an 07 and I have trouble getting it in gear from time to time.
I actually thought I had a bad synchronizer on third gear from the time I bought the truck.
I had the fluid changed, which for my year is "manual transmission fluid".
It seemed to help, but from time to time, it will take being very deliberate to get it into third gear.
I have about 30,000 miles and all in all it has not been a significant problem.
Everyone is correct in saying this is a truck.
I have had many trucks with manual shift transmissions. None of them ever became like this little Hummer.

According to my dealer, it seems to be a weak pressure plate. The good news is, it is covered by the GM warrantee.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by atv jr
Yeah, that's the way this one started out both times. As time goes on, however, it gets harder and harder to find a gear that it will go into. Eventually it got to the point where I would have to shut the engine off to be able to get into a gear.

Normally, when I park, I leave it in the gear that I am going to use when I start it back up.

There are times, tho, when I want to put the trans in neutral and let the engine run.
Definitely a problem if it's getting worse, not just a quirk of the tranny. Good luck to you and the OP on this.

About 15 years ago I was coming off the highway, pushed in the clutch, and snapped the throw out arm. I managed to get the car into 2nd gear and that was it - no getting in or out of gear. Managed to hit every green light on the way home, and shut off the car as I pulled into my parking space.. Not being able to shift brings the suck.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Default same thing happening again

here is the shortened version of my long saga

purchased my 09 H3 in july 2009...brand new...with manual trans
about 1 month into it....couldn't be into 1st or reverse, especially after sitting overnight, or parked for a while

it started sporatic at 1st, then got to the point that i couldn't drive it
took it to the dealer and they determined the clutch needed adjustment since the cars sensor was not making contact, and therefore the car didn't know that i had the clutch depressed...therefore, not allowing it into 1st or reverse (weird thing...i could usually get it into 2nd easier)

as the 1st post said...it was easy if i was on an incline, and could roll a little then get it into gear

anyway...we are now almost 3 years later and it's up to its old tricks!!

this morning couldn't get it into 1st...this was a bad day to happen since i was in bumper to bumper traffic, and couldn't let off the clutch the entire time

i called the dealer (still under warranty) and went in as an emergency

NOW FOR THE PROBLEM...they couldn't recreate the problem...so therefore couldn't fix it
i told them...begged them...etc etc that it was the exact same issue as before (and they had the GM warranty record), but they still would NOT fix it.

so i had to take the car and plan on getting stranded when it won't go into 1st or reverse!!

anyone else have the same issue with GM???

Old 05-17-2012, 12:18 PM

Hummerchik-
My dealer here in Reno is pretty good about most things, but I sometimes think that their hands are tied as to what they can or should do and what they tell you and end up doing.
Hope that makes sense ?
My 07 5-speed had problems when new and I was sure it was a synchronizer in 3rd gear.
If it were a weak pressure plate it would most likely affect all the gears, especially the lower ones. After I take long drives and the MTF is well up to temp, the trans seems to shift smoothly and no fight back in third or any other gear.
I believe they (GM) claim that the manual trans fluid does not need changing. That I find hard to believe. I have changed it once in 42500 miles.
Some times dealers need to see and feel things broken before they will attempt any repairs.
The dealers all have to justify their repairs to management and I believe they are under lots of pressure to do less not more.
If it is all possible, thy another dealer and see what goes. Maybe have an independent look at it and have him give you a written explanation of the problem. Then you would have another valued opinion that would give you more clout at the dealer.
Good luck

Quick Reply: Are These Shifting Problems Common?