PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tents

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Default Tents

Check this out!
http://www.arbusa.com/rooftop-tents.php

Anybody know of any other tents for the H3? I used to have a liberty and they had a big one that attached to the tail gate. I always liked the concept of having a tent that integrated with the truck.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Default RE: Tents

I know overland makes some.

http://www.autohomeus.com/products/overland.php

Just search for roof tents or rooftop tents on the net and you can probably find several.

I have a sportz truck tent that I really liked. It fits in the bed of my chevy 4x4. But it's too small for me and the wife and two kiddos. It was fine when it was just three of us. I keep it around in the event I ever plan to be out fishing alone, or without the family. But, that rarely happens so I don't get much use from it anymore. I've thought about roof tents for the H3, but they are so pricey I'm not sure I'll ever get one. At least not a new one.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:28 PM

I really liked theidea of tents off the floor (eg. on top of the truck). I guess it improves the sense of security knowing that wild animals and creepy crawliescan't easily get to you when you camp out in the wild...

Also had a tough time considering all the different roof top tents and weight was one of the biggest factors since our roof rack/crossbar system is technically rated for about 250lbs only... Most of the tents such as the arb tents easily weight over 100lbs in itself... In any case, this is the tent we have after all the tough decisions... I highly recommend it... Let me know if anyone needs more details about the tent...

Name:  IMG_0085a.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  46.4 KB

Another pic from a different angle:

Name:  IMG_0084a.jpg
Views: 1954
Size:  30.1 KB

Old 08-12-2007, 09:30 PM

As per most of the roof top tents, you access the tent via a ladder...

Name:  IMG_0086a.jpg
Views: 3301
Size:  51.2 KB

Old 08-12-2007, 09:31 PM

And this is how it looks when folded for travel... its pretty light, only at about 40lbs for the tent...

Name:  IMG_0042a.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  95.1 KB

Old 08-12-2007, 10:01 PM

What kind of tent is it? Does that ladder fold up into the bag? How does the bag fair?I always hate putting travel bags on the roof..they always seem to get shredded after a few road trips. Too bad there isnt a hard cover.

As for weight, I have a Gobi rack so I'm lookin for something that mounts to that. The ARB should be fine though because I think the Gobi rack ups the weight limit to 350 as the posted limit but I've had me and two others up there which was right about 400 lbs and it was fine. Especially if it was distributed over the rails and not feet, 2 people and a 100 lbs tent should be at about 400.
But after seeing the price for that ARB, I think I better start looking into insurance for my roof rack since after a Gobi w/ ladder and 6 PIAA 3 bulb lights and some accessories...once I addan ARB rack...Im approaching 7k just sitting on top!!!!! [:@]
The only assuring thing is that I know my alarm will go off before you can get a good hold on anything on the roof rack.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:17 AM

Ghost, you can see the extention ladder stowed under the tent on the rack.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:48 AM

ORIGINAL: bobopotato

And this is how it looks when folded for travel... its pretty light, only at about 40lbs for the tent...

How long to assemble and disassemble?

Old 08-13-2007, 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Fireman

Ghost, you can see the extention ladder stowed under the tent on the rack.
Good eye! thanks!

Old 08-13-2007, 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Ghostrider

What kind of tent is it? Does that ladder fold up into the bag? How does the bag fair?I always hate putting travel bags on the roof..they always seem to get shredded after a few road trips. Too bad there isnt a hard cover.

As for weight, I have a Gobi rack so I'm lookin for something that mounts to that. The ARB should be fine though because I think the Gobi rack ups the weight limit to 350 as the posted limit but I've had me and two others up there which was right about 400 lbs and it was fine. Especially if it was distributed over the rails and not feet, 2 people and a 100 lbs tent should be at about 400.
But after seeing the price for that ARB, I think I better start looking into insurance for my roof rack since after a Gobi w/ ladder and 6 PIAA 3 bulb lights and some accessories...once I addan ARB rack...Im approaching 7k just sitting on top!!!!! [:@]
The only assuring thing is that I know my alarm will go off before you can get a good hold on anything on the roof rack.
Its sort of a cot tent, the bottom's canvas, so its like sleeping on a tight hammock rather than a hard surface. As Fireman mentioned, ladder can be secured below the tent (between the tent & rack). The bag's pretty sturdy, made of tough waterproof canvas that came with straps where I tightened to prevent it from flapping around in the wind during driving.

7K on the roof!! Yeah... that's really alot. In fact, that's prolly more than the cost of a lot of the cars driving around! heh

Quick Reply: Tents