PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC2, Tow and Air Compressor buttons

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Default TC2, Tow and Air Compressor buttons

Has anyone tried opening up the TC2, tow and Air suspension button units? I want to change the leds in them, but they are not really designed to be opened. If anyone has done this, I'd be interested in hearing how you did it.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:17 PM

I've opened everything and switched to LED.

See my build thread (hope its ok to post the link)

LoJac963's Deuce Build

Old 12-20-2013, 09:43 AM

Thanks LoJac. Very sweet looking rig you got there. Do you remember exactly how you opened those switches? did you just pry them open or use some sort of solvent to break down any glue?

Old 12-20-2013, 04:27 PM

Thanks I appreciate it.

Those switches all come apart one way or another. Once you get them out of the dash and can look at the back you'll see how all the button packs come apart. Some aren't meant to come apart and are considered throw away if they go back. At the same time nothing was actually glued together, everything just had small protrusions on them that fit into the case or holder extremely tight. Have patience and you'll get it apart!

Old 12-26-2013, 08:39 AM

Hey LoJac. Thanks I got those buttons opened and changed out the LEDs. Like you, I'm using white and it starting to look pretty sweet. I moved on to the 4 wheel drive buttons and ran into a problem. it looks like the pins that plug into the connectors were glued into to plastic casing. I had to try and de-solder all the pins in order to pull the circuit board out so I could get to the underside of it to de-solder the old bulbs out and to solder the new LEDs in. Unfortunately, I couldn't get all the solder off some of the pins and when I pulled up the board, some of the conductive material pulled off the board and stayed on the pins. Now when I try and put it back together some of the pins are not connecting and I'm getting a "service 4 wheel drive" message and some of the buttons are not working. Did you run into the same issue with having to de-solder the pins in order to remove the board?

Old 12-26-2013, 09:19 AM

I had that issue when I did the seat heater controls on the driver door-the controls above the window switches. Those LED's to through the board and some have contacts on both the top and bottom of the board. Before I bought solder wick (was using a solder suction) I tried pulling a couple out and it ripped the connections off the board.

Luckily I just slowly started adding solder to where the connections on the board should have been and it completed the circuits. Try doing that-kinda hard to explain over text.....

Old 12-26-2013, 10:15 AM

I understand what you're trying to say, and I tried that as well with no success. I even used some conductive copper tape I have and that didn't help either. I'm going to have to break down and buy and buy a new switch unit.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by DanH3
I understand what you're trying to say, and I tried that as well with no success. I even used some conductive copper tape I have and that didn't help either. I'm going to have to break down and buy and buy a new switch unit.

Yeah that's the downside to doing such a big mod like this. I thought I'd have to buy a new switch unit for my driver door but its still working fine. Pick up some good solder wick from radio shack and use that instead of anything else. It completely gets rid of the solder then you can pull the old bulbs right out without damaging anything. Good luck!