PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tailgating. Is it just me??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Default Tailgating. Is it just me??

Does anybody else have problems with tailgaters, or is it just me?

On the way home from work tonight at dusk, I noticed headlights behind me soon after turing onto a road with a 40MPH limit. I set the cruise control to 45. About a 3/4 of a mile down the road, I saw flashng red lights in the rear view mirror. As I pulled over, I thought the cops were being picky -- I was only going 5 over the limit!

But after I pulled over, I noticed that there was another car behind me; the cop got him, not me.

I have the rear spare tire carrier, which makes it harder to see behind me, AND I have the rearview mirror adjusted so that I only see the upper 6 inches of the rear window -- because I'm always being tailgated! I try to ignore these people.

It seems most of these tailgaters are young girls. I complained to my wife a couple of times about this, and she shrugged it off saying I'm just a grumpy old fart and probably drive too slow. On a recent trip from New Jersey to Michigan she learned that I was not making this up. I was tailgated quite often, and usually it was younger women. And I was always going at least the speed limit, if not more. In Michigan, I was doing 90 and had a woman in a Volvo a half a car length behind me. And it's not like they're trying to flirt, or anything.

I don't seem to have this as much when I'm driving my wife's Escalade. So is this a Hummer effect, or just me? Has anyone else had experiences with tailgaters?

Old 01-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Default RE: Tailgating. Is it just me??

People are just drawn to the hummer and enjoy checking it out. Happens to me also and that's what I think. Eather that or they are trying to get a close pic for that fu H2 site.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:33 PM

Hey as long as it's girls....I reckon I an live with that!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:14 PM

Hell..that happens to me all the time...sometimes when driving at night..and they are so close..I can't even see their headlights..makes me real nervous when I can't see them.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:21 AM

Hey buddy..I feel your pain...

I could be wrong, But I gotto believe it's something to do with your License
Plate...

Old 01-20-2007, 03:26 AM

Ah, I see now...he's William's brother (of 'American Idol' fame).
Name:  HungasElvis.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  75.1 KB

Old 01-20-2007, 04:03 AM

I got a few tailgaters mostly in small cars... i sometimes just tap the break a bit give them a lil scare and they usually back off heh... worse case I get rear ended and just have to touch up paint to my rear bumper heh....

Old 01-20-2007, 04:13 AM

Could be an illusion from the small windows in the rear but I feel I get tailgated alot. I have not noticed the drivers but will be looking now...

Old 01-20-2007, 06:21 AM

ORIGINAL: blackstangs281

People are just drawn to the hummer and enjoy checking it out. Happens to me also and that's what I think.
I agree!! My brother-in-law HATES riding in my Rig. He's one of those people who doesn't LIKE BEING STARED AT!!!!
So he's always yelling..."What are you looking at!!" to people and I say to him..."Dude, it SURE AIN'T YOU......
It's the PRINCESS they're gawking at!!!"Name:  worship_H2.gif
Views: 61
Size:  41.9 KB

Old 01-20-2007, 06:55 AM

I am not sure if I get tailgated more in the H3, but I definitely mind it more as they disappear from my view in my mirrors.

As a side note: I was at the airport last week. I was at the toll barrier leaving, but it wasn't working. Checked the mirrors, and began slowly backing up to use the other barrier. Well, I never heard a crunch or felt resistance, but I did hear the horn of the BMW as the driver noticed I was crunching their front end. I got a scratch on my license plate. I was so amazed at the damage on the BMW and nothing on the H3. I was also amazed I felt nothing and could see nothing. This weekend I am in the process of adding a HitchCAM so maybe now I can watch the tailgaters and look out for BMWs.

It sort of annoys me that I haven't had an accident since I was a kid. Now with my $40K vehicle with p*** poor visibile that HUMMER could not have at least offered us an add on for collision avoidance. Grrr. Okay setting off my soap box and returning this thread to the discussion of tailgating.

Happy trails all.

Quick Reply: Tailgating. Is it just me??