PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Default suspension question

Just put new Bilsten 5100s on all four. I have a question. When I am going around a curve and hit a good size bump my H3 seems to wander real bad to the outer side of the turn. You can really feel it in the steering. I couldnt find a stablizer listed for the H3. It has about 68000 on it. Looking for some places to start looking. It did it a little worse with the stock shocks.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:35 PM

how big of a bump are you talking about, cause if it's big you're going to wonder no matter what you do just because of how the geometry changes between turning and the suspension travel of the bump. plus with having a tall side wall your going to aurally feel some wonder when turning. if it real bad check all your bushings in your suspension to make sure they're not worn or broke.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by amy11
Just put new Bilsten 5100s on all four. I have a question. When I am going around a curve and hit a good size bump my H3 seems to wander real bad to the outer side of the turn. You can really feel it in the steering. I couldnt find a stablizer listed for the H3. It has about 68000 on it. Looking for some places to start looking. It did it a little worse with the stock shocks.
It's called "bumpsteer". The rubber bushing that is suppose to hold the steering rack in place has become worn and loose and now there is some "play" in there. When you hit the bump while turning the steering rack will slide causing the "bumpsteer".

Only 1 way to take care of it for a long time. That is to get a new steering rack with a new bushing and bracket. They (the dealer) will gladly change just the bushing and bracket because they know you will be back soon enough with the same issue.

What happens is when the steering rack has been "sliding" back and forth inside the bushing it wears away the paint and some of the metal. Thus causing the new bushing not to fit as snugly as with a new untouched rack.

Hopw this helps!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:58 AM

ok thanks for the answers.. Really the rack it shot @ 67000 miles... Any clue what a rack cost is?

Yeah the bumps are same ones I travel everyday to and from work. nothing really big just like stutter bumps in some cornors that make it almost uncontrolable.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:42 AM

Hey Amy... You dont have to replace the rack.... It is just the bracket and bushing that holds it into place against the frame... Mine was real bad, and I just had it replaced last week.. Rides and handles like new again... If your not covered under warranty still, on the other forum a gentlemen by the name of Hunner sells a product that is designed to hold the rack firmly in place... So its nothing major, just a bracket and bushing.. Hope this helps...

Old 08-15-2012, 09:15 AM

To rule out or confirm a loose rack, drop the front skids and take a look at the rack while someone turns the wheel side to side. If you have no play, then your rack and bushing is fine.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:00 AM

Wihout having to go to the dealer, does anybody know if I can find the bracket and bushing online? Does anybody know the part numbers?

Where can I get more information about what Hunner has designed or where I can purchase it?

Thanks for your help....

Old 08-16-2012, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Pappibri
Hey Amy... You dont have to replace the rack.... It is just the bracket and bushing that holds it into place against the frame... Mine was real bad, and I just had it replaced last week.. Rides and handles like new again... If your not covered under warranty still, on the other forum a gentlemen by the name of Hunner sells a product that is designed to hold the rack firmly in place... So its nothing major, just a bracket and bushing.. Hope this helps...
You WILL eventually get the slop back due to (as stated earlier) the overall Outer Diameter of the rack you have has been reduced. Unless you make up for the lost O.D. you will be replacing it (the rack). Trust me on this one. I've gone through 6 racks on 4 different H3/H3Ts due to the "slop" and feeling bumpsteer.

Pappi, did you get one and install it yet?

Last edited by TAINTER; 08-16-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:09 AM

Maybe someone can help me out, I remember reading somewhere that the H3 bushing is the same size as a Toyota rack, maybe a Tacoma?, anyway, that bushing is available in a an aftermarket polyurethane that is supposed to keep from wearing on the rack to begin with. Anyone used one of those or have any input/info??

Old 08-16-2012, 04:49 PM

yeah I was wondering about a Poly bushing.

Quick Reply: suspension question