PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange noise from driver front tire area.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Default Strange noise from driver front tire area.

I post this with the following caveat: I am not a mechanic.

Yesterday it was like 100 degrees outside and I took a 10 min trip on the interstate with my AC on. After I got back into town, I start to feel something unusual through the gas pedal. I turned my AC off, turned my stereo off and rolled down the windows to see if I could hear anything and sure enough, there was an intermittent noise that sounded like it was coming from the driver side front wheel area.

I did some basic troubleshooting to see if I could isolate the sound. It only happened while moving and I don't think it had anything to do with the transmission, because I put the truck in neutral while rolling and it still did it. I looked at the suspension around that area and yanked my tire a bit to see if I could duplicate the noise while not moving. Everything seems tight, so that left me with no ideas left. I've had wheel bearings go out on me before and this isn't anything like that. I also heard a hissing noise from the center of the truck. I don't know how to describe the part where the sound seemed to be coming from. The transmission or transfer case, I'm not sure.

The interesting part is that the noises went away now that it's not 100 degrees outside. The truck was very hot yesterday. The temp gauge was at the 3rd hash mark to the top(with the next hash mark being the red one) and it usually runs right in the middle.

Any of you mechanic type people have any ideas?

Sorry if this post is kinda long.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:32 PM

How are your tires and alignment? i had a similar issue where i heard a noise in the front driverside and in the pedals and thought it was a bad bearing. the dealer said my alignment was out(40k) and my tires were badly cupped and thats what caused it. ive since got it aligned and new tires on and its gone. good luck

Old 05-25-2010, 03:15 PM

The tires have less than 3k miles on them and I just had an alignment a couple of months ago.