PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still seeking trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Default Still seeking trailer wiring

Hi all, I got my hitch installed and it fits great (Hidden Hitch-the only part that hangs in view is the receiver itself which is what I was hoping for. However, I still need help with this darned trailer wiring.

I got a few replies the last time telling me that if I open my rear door and look down, there are the wires. When I do that, I am looking at a harness that has four wires leading in one end, and only two coming out. The other two holes have tiny rubber plugs in them. Because of the way the harness is run through the truck, it is impossible for me to get hold of the wires to try to tap them.

From below the truck, the only possible place I can see to tie in is above the driver's side frame rail, where I can reach around and touch the wire loom, but it is indeed wrapped in a loom and relatively out of view.

I cannot help but think that there has to be an easier way that this to put stupid trailer wiring on it. It's a one-month-old vehicle and I get kind of stingy about cutting on things that are out of my view. Nobody makes a plug-in connector???? 60,000 H3s were sold last year in the US...maybe I'm in the wrong business.

Anyway, any assistance you guys can offer will really be helpful. I took some vacation days and I'm hoping to get my jetskis in the water tomorrow...but right now no wiring means no lights!

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Still seeking trailer wiring

I have the factory 7 pin on my deuce.... I dunno what you have without pictures...

do you have something that looks like this?

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=210

Old 07-19-2007, 09:14 PM

Well i just did mine about a week ago, took about 3 minutes! when you open your rear door, about 8-10 inches in from the driver side, if you reach down, you can pull out 4 wires that are all taped off, they will match the colors of the trailer wires, i got some wire taps from Home Depot, no need to cut anything that way, wrapped it in tape (to be extra sure) (moisture). Bingo then your done! oh i forgot, you may need to pull the wires out of the plastic casing that it is in, mine were hanging out a little bit!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2833/5AD9D9850BD24043A8838313E5416150.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-19-2007, 09:44 PM

I really appreciate the pic...just don't know how you got that much slack in the wires. Tomorrow one way or the other I'll grab those turds and get 'em in!

Thanks

Old 07-19-2007, 09:46 PM

i had to pull on them a bit, most of that slack is from where I tapped into them, i had a 'little' bit of play, it was tight, but really pretty manageable! Good Luck!

Old 07-19-2007, 09:50 PM

they sell little clips that just snap with pliers on the wires to connect them together, that way you don't need to cut anything, they just snap together quite easily.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:20 PM

here is a pic of them

Name:  tapspli.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  1.7 KB

Old 07-19-2007, 11:53 PM

ORIGINAL: 2007H3

Hi all, I got my hitch installed and it fits great (Hidden Hitch-the only part that hangs in view is the receiver itself which is what I was hoping for.
Can you post a pic of the hitch, even if it is pre-wiring? I'm interested in seeing the setup.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:20 AM

I just installed the hidden hitch and wiring last night on my h3. The hidden hitch really is a clean install. I ran into the same problem with finding the wiring. I'll try and snap some pics on my camera phone (All I have on me today) during lunch. If you have already found the wires, but are still wondering about how to get the slack as shown in the image jibber11 posted, pull apart the plastic casing that the wiring is in. Inside the casing the wires will be electrical taped together in a small bundle. Remove the tape and you'll get enough slack to splice the wires to a flat 4-way.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:04 PM

Here's a post that has my receiver/hitch if interested in a pic.

https://www.hummerforums.com/m_56028/tm.htm

Quick Reply: Still seeking trailer wiring